Santa Fe Peak - East Approach?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nedryarson
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 73 3 1
Trip Reports (2)

Santa Fe Peak - East Approach?

Post by nedryarson »

Hey everyone, I'm planning to do some camping in the Geneva Creek basin south of Guanella and would love to summit Santa Fe and potentially Geneva while I'm there. Every TR I've seen for this group is from the Montezuma side. Does anyone know if there is a doable route from the east?

Thanks!
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: Santa Fe Peak - East Approach?

Post by Jay521 »

There are doable routes from the east. One way (that I have done) is to drive as far as you can up Bruno Gulch (off the Guanella Pass Road), then hike up Landslide Peak and run the ridge to Santa Fe. You can also add Red Cone to the route. One other way (that I haven't done but would be doable, I'm sure), would be to drive as far as you can up Geneva Creek and work your way up the ridge between Geneva and Santa Fe (approaching the NE aspect).

Hope that helps.

Edit: Just thought of a third way. Drive up Geneva Creek until you hit the trail crossing (I think it's Squaretop trail?), follow that south and there is a cutoff trail that leads across the eastern flank of Landslide. Then follow the route I described from the Bruno Gulch approach.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

If you drive to Montezuma, there is a left turn from the main intersection that takes you up a series of switch backs to a mine near the ridge. From the ridge you can connect the dots; Santa Fe, Landslide and Geneva. You can then descend from Geneva back to the road and follow it back down to Montezuma. If you didn't park too high on the switchbacks, the last hike to your car isn't bad. If you did, it sucks. :-D

My gps had this loop at about 13 miles as I recall. It was a nice hike.

Sorry though; of course that route is not from the east...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

Don't know when you're looking to go or if you already have. I was there on 7/4 and while the western approach from Montezuma is free and clear of snow, the northern saddle between Santa Fe and Morgan Peak had some snow on the east side. Not sure where any eastern trail connects with the west, but that saddle had some snow but you should be able to navigate around it.