Mount Arkansas

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mnsebourn
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (6)

Mount Arkansas

Post by mnsebourn »

Hello all.

I am planning on celebrating my completion of the Arkansas bar exam by returning to Colorado in early August. In recent years, my dad and I have tackled Elbert, Massive, and Harvard, and we hope to check off La Plata and Blanca this summer.

Being from Arkansas, while reading up on the Leadville area, I stumbled upon the existence of the 13er Mount Arkansas.

A bit of internet research on a different site shows that the North Ridge route is class 2 or 3 with a round trip of somewhere around 5 or 6 miles.

I'm interested in any knowledge about this route that any of you might have, as I'd love to use it as a "warmup" to the two 14ers I plan to hike.

Specifically, I understand there isn't a marked trail to the peak of Mount Arkansas. Is the path to the summit fairly straightforward? I've hiked a lot of tall mountains out west of my home state, but I've never before trekked too far off the beaten path.... The other site listed the North Ridge route as class 3, but no part of the description sounded any more challenging than the upper reaches of, say, Harvard. A bit of boulder hopping is all it really described; so is Arkansas closer to Class 2 or 3?

I'd love to hike/scramble up this peak, but online information about it is scarce, so thanks in advance for ANY information. It's much appreciated.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Mount Arkansas

Post by SoCool »

It is class 3 in a few places, with some exposure, but is easy and I highly recommend it to anyone.
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

Congrats on the Bar exam. Arkansas is a great climb. The routefinding is straight forward. Once you find your way through the trees you pretty much pick any line you want up the steep slope to gain the ridge and you can pretty much stick to the ridge until you come to the towers. I did it in the snow and bypassed the towers. They looked like they were definetly class 3 but the bypass was class 2 and then just boulder hopping to the summit. I actually had to stop and turn back about 200 feet below the summit as my dog got tired but hope to go back this year. Its a fun outing and the peak looks pretty impressive from fremont pass. 6 miles sounds about right for distance so would be a great warmup. Have fun.
Col_Forbin
14ers: 44  8  2 
13ers: 109 46 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Col_Forbin »

I love Mt. Arkansas. Easy access. That northeast couloir is a blast too.
PattyCakes
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PattyCakes »

Congrats on your accomplishment. I climbed Arkansas mid-September a couple of years ago. The climb is pretty strait forward. You park where 13ers.com shows you, then hike across some old railroad tracks. Once you reach treeline, take a left. Climb to the top of the ridge and flow is up. Around 13,200ft you reach a rock outcropping on the ridge line. If you follow the ridge crest it turns into some class 3, if you want class 2, duck to the right and parallel the ridge for about 100yrds. Then you will see multiple gulleys to get back to the ridge. After your back on the ridge line, its rock hopping the rest the way. Enjoy your climb!
ahrendse
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ahrendse »

I'll echo PattyCakes a bit. I was up there a couple weeks ago and even with a bunch of snow, route finding was not very difficult.

Congrats on passing the bar!
https://listsofjohn.com/m/ahrendse
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'
CCU_Jim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 92
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CCU_Jim »

Haven't done it myself, though I plan to at some point. Have you looked at the 13ers.com page on it? Bill has a route description on there for the north ridge route. He calls it class 2.

http://13ers.com/peaks/peak.php?peakkey ... .+Arkansas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got a good shot of the north ridge from CO-91 coming down Fremont Pass that I used as my screen saver for years.
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

As previous posters have said, the route is straightforward. You park just south of Fremont Pass and the Climax Mine. As you descend the long switchback from the top of Fremont Pass (assuming you are driving from the north), Arkansas is the peak immediately before (south of) you with a short serpentine ridge. The parking is right off the highway, and the trail follows an old dirt road which I believe also winds some through the trees (I did it in snow, so I can't swear to this).

In any event, don't be daunted by the idea of finding your way through the trees: that much is straightforward, that section is brief, and the trees are not dense. You'll get to a bump below the ridge itself just as you break out of the trees. Basically, if you just head up through the trees, you will be funneled to this point, which is the start of the ridge. The ridge offers you plenty of options, which should be easier without snow coverage. Fun peak. It's more scramble-y than Elbert, Harvard, or Massive, but the route-finding is not challenging and will brush off the rust for your Blanca outing. It's a light class 3 in spots, but the exposure is not intimidating and the views are good.

Here's a more detailed description from 13ers.com:
http://www.13ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... 8040848543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, of course, summitpost:
http://www.summitpost.org/north-ridge/158974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited: Here are a few pics to give you a flavor of the terrain to the summit. Just imagine it without the snow.
Arkansas_1.jpg
Arkansas_1.jpg (205.78 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Arkansas_2.jpg
Arkansas_2.jpg (261.43 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Good luck on the bar.
Last edited by JosephG on Thu May 07, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mnsebourn
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (6)

Post by mnsebourn »

Wow, thanks everyone for all the info. Glad to hear it's pretty straightforward and can serve as a warmup outing.

Very much looking forward to it.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

mnsebourn hit me up when you go for it.

Being an Arkansas grad I've been looking at that peak for a while. I might have to join you if I don't get it before then.

JQ
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

pm sent
-km
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Arkansas n ridge route public acces?

Post by Marmot72 »

Anyone done this route in the last year or so? A friend and I ended up doing Silverheels winter of '13 because we could not find any left turn from that hairpin area south of the pass that was not marked "no trespassing" by the climax mine operators.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.