Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rampart Range Road

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Rampart Range Road

Postby Codys14ers » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:07 pm

hey all, hope everyone is doing well. Can anyone please give me an update on conditions for the north end of Rampart Range Road? I am looking to head there in 10 days or so and would like to know how much snow, if any, is still there. thank you all very much
"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Re: Rampart Range Road

Postby Doug Shaw » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:29 pm

The road itself is still closed until further notice, and the trails may or may not be open to motorized access - latest I've heard is that the mostly-annual pre-opening "mud closures" may go into effect later this week to let things dry out for a week or two before they open the area full bore.

You could also call the South Platte Ranger District nearer to your trip for more specific information about conditions.

Postby boudreaux » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:20 am

I think the road doesn't open til May, but call the ranger district anyway!
Ragin Cajun

Postby larkinrx2 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:29 am

roads usual openings is memorial day weekend to labor day weekend for registered vehicles

current conditions should not require floatation however is snowing now and mud is likely

that being said, there are tons of 4 wheelers, dirtbikes, snowleds when able up there that it never seems closed

if looking to hike the devils head tower there is a side entrance at Jackson creek road
from winter closure gate it is roughly 12 miles RT (verified by Garmin) cant remember elevation gain

2.5 miles up road jackson creek rd to rampart range road
2 miles to the devils head parking lot along rampart range rd
3 miles RT for the firetower hike
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby Codys14ers » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 am

Hey, thanks for the info, I'm going turkey hunting up there and will be on foot so I'm not too worried about snow, just wondering about how much is there. I guess last nights storm should give me a clue huh? :-D
"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Postby MarkSandusky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm going turkey hunting up there

Do you need/want a partner? I'm solo this year

Postby Codys14ers » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:42 am

Hey, this time I do not but it looks like in may I will be solo if I don't get one opening weekend. I will keep you updated
Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Postby MarkSandusky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Good luck on opening day - I'm going to an area I know well on opening. I have been having a hard time finding people interested in waking up well before dawn and hiking around and chasing these crazy birds

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:58 pm

I have only seen 1 person up there hunting turkeys. he was heading out from one of the lots along rampart range road between the jackson creek rd and the firetower area. staying on the east side of the road.

as for seeing one up there, only along the main road 67 just as it hit the foot hills. i think if you get out super early on a weekday your chances might be higher without the engine noise of the dirt bikes / 4 wheelers.

be careful and be congnizant of your down range up there!
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby boudreaux » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:49 am

With all the traffic from jeeps, motorcycles, bikes, shooting targets, etc, there are a lot of turkeys up on Rampart Range. I have seen many large flocks. If you don't get one, I would be surprised. I bet if you go further west on 67 on Sugar Creek Rd past Sprucewood, you might have even better luck. There are virtually no trails down there.
Ragin Cajun

Postby powhound » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:49 am

I am planning on doing some backpacking in the Rampart Range soon and I like to poke around off the beaten path sometimes. When exactly is turkey hunting season? I'm having a hard time finding info online. For that matter, are there any other spring hunting seasons that a hiker should be aware of?

Postby MarkSandusky » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Codys14ers wrote:Hey, this time I do not but it looks like in may I will be solo if I don't get one opening weekend. I will keep you updated

Any luck there last season? I'm definitely looking for new areas this year

Thanks

Mark

Next