Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GPS app for Android

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

GPS app for Android

Postby arpwalker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:14 pm

Hello everybody,
I wonder if there is a reasonable application for Android phones (I have Motorola Droid MAXX HD) that could be used as a backup GPS even in areas where there is limited tower signal (is this phone equiped with true GPS chip?). I saw very informative discussion in the recent past on this forum about Iphone products but I'm not sure if that applies to the Android.

Re: GPS app for Android

Postby 14RBND » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:19 pm

ALLSPORT GPS FREE App works good on my android Samsung. I got it through Play Store. Backpacker GPS Trails also had a great topo in there but confused the hell out of me.
"Mountaineering experience is that monumental thing that allows us to understand our mistakes when we make them more than once"

Postby tlerunner » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:36 pm

Backcountry Navigator

Postby arpwalker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:08 am

Hey guys,
Thanks for the advise. I will try to experiment. On the related subject: is there any app that would combine some existing trail maps of 14ers with GPS?

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:13 am

Backcountry Navigator Pro

$10 well spent.

Postby djkest » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:17 pm

That looks really cool, do you know if it's possible to export the data as people do on handheld standalone GPS units? I guess the biggest concern is that the battery life on most phones probably won't allow for GPS tracking for 8 hours on a single charge- but maybe it will.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby jdorje » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:57 pm

No, the technology to export data from a smartphone into a simple, open format like GPX is decades away.

Battery life is a concern, as is durability. I recommend a spare battery or portable charger (I currently use this). Airplane mode, turning off wireless, and disabling background processes also helps a ton.
-Jason Dorje Short

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:27 pm

jdorje wrote:No, the technology to export data from a smartphone into a simple, open format like GPX is decades away.

lol
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:32 pm

djkest wrote:That looks really cool, do you know if it's possible to export the data as people do on handheld standalone GPS units? I guess the biggest concern is that the battery life on most phones probably won't allow for GPS tracking for 8 hours on a single charge- but maybe it will.

I just use it to check where I am on routes here and there, so I'm not tracking my entire route on it. I keep everything off on the phone and just flip on GPS when I want to check where I am then turn it back off. Went through an entire 4 day Chicago Basin trip and still had 40% left on the battery at the end using it like that.

Postby jdorje » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:48 am

If you only turn the phone on occasionally, then a cheap and fairly lightweight solar charger can keep it running indefinitely. Pretty neat.

Personally I like having those GPX tracks. For day trips I'll always keep the track running constantly.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby dfrizzle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 pm

+1 for Backcountry Navigator Pro
$10 very well spent

Add to that GPS Airtime and Runkeeper or something similar. GPS Airtime is a cool app that let's you leave your phone in airplane mode (to save battery) and kicks the phone out of airplane mode only briefly enough to trick/help the phone acquire GPS signal. Runkeeper let's me record tracks and export gpx file pretty easily.

I recently upgraded from the original Droid Maxx to the newest Droid Maxx and battery life is not an isssue...Hiked recently in RMNP for 5 hours with no cell signal but and still had 88% battery life when I got back to Estes Park. Left home nearly 3 hours before starting on the trailhead too. Love having a phone with such incredible battery life!
One foot in and one foot back, but it don't pay to live like that.
So I cut the ties and I jumped the tracks, for never to return.

Postby jwildman16 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:28 pm

I have a Moto G that I bought for $50 just to use for WiFi and GPS, because battery life on my daily driver is atrocious. We honeymooned in Ecuador and Peru; I used Google MyTracks to log the entirety of our four-day, ~25 mile Inca Trail trek and still had over 30% left when we finished. I did turn the phone off overnight. Just keep the phone in airplane mode and don't use the screen much and you'll be surprised how long your battery lasts.
JWild

Next