Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Need some suggestions

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Need some suggestions

Postby spiderj » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:09 pm

Good afternoon,


I am trying to plan a trip for myself and a couple of friends and would like to get some expert advice on locations.


For the past 4 years, we have all been going up north to the BWCA , Minnesota/Canada border, to get off the grid for a week or so.

This year we would like to head out to Colorado but having a hard time pinning down a good location. We are not climbers but like a good hike.

Some criteria for the best location would be:

- Remote, we go to BWCA because it is literally off the grid. Colorado might not be quite as much but looking for a good place that we wont run into a lot of people during the stay.

- Fishing, some of the group really like to fish so somewhere close to a lake or creek, etc with good fishing.

- Hiking, We are not climbers but do like to hike and enjoy the views

- Scenery, some photos on the site show places that look barren. We would like great scenery, camping in the woods type stuff maybe.

if any of these places allow any sort of small game hunting (rabbits, etc) that would be great as well but not necessity.


Thank you all in advance for your help in narrowing down the best location.

User avatar
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:27 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: Need some suggestions

Postby geojed » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:22 pm

Are you looking for a backpacking trip or just camp somewhere and do day hikes?

Weminuche Wilderness area would fit the bill for a backpacking trip. LOTS of options.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Online
User avatar
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Denver/Golden

Re: Need some suggestions

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Colorado has several Wilderness Areas that would fit your requirements, the largest (and my personal favorite) being the Weminuche. The South San Juan Wilderness would probably be the most "off the grid." It's generally considered Colorado's wildest regions and remains so remote that some people think it's possibly harboring grizzly bears. :lol: It's far from major cities and lacks 14ers or high 13ers, hence the seclusion.

Excellent guidebook here.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Online
User avatar
Posts: 7319
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Need some suggestions

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:30 pm

Gore Range or Flattops spring to mind, mostly because they're so far out there I've never been to either one. :)

Avoid anything near a 14er if you don't want to see people.

You can read the small game rules (for 2013) here: http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/smallgame.pdf
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Need some suggestions

Postby spiderj » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:51 pm

Backpack in maybe but mostly finding a camp to stay at for the week.



geojed wrote:Are you looking for a backpacking trip or just camp somewhere and do day hikes?

Weminuche Wilderness area would fit the bill for a backpacking trip. LOTS of options.

Online
User avatar
Posts: 7319
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Need some suggestions

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:08 pm

There's decent car camping at the edge of the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness, at the end of the Buffalo Peaks Road (aka Forest Service Road 431, about 7 miles off off the highway, smooth dirt). The spot I'm thinking of is near the Lynch Creek Trailhead on the Forest Service page. I've seen a few people camped there, but it's quiet and has access to a few trails into the wilderness, plus is close to trout fishing.

Here is an article about backpacking a "popular" loop hike from that trailhead. By "popular" they mean you might actually see somebody else during a two-day trip. The loop is a pretty easy dayhike, actually, but has good camping around the middle.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Need some suggestions

Postby spiderj » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks Jim. The hunting regulations will be helpful!

We will be looking for a place that we can backpack to, setup camp and then spend the week there.




Jim Davies wrote:There's decent car camping at the edge of the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness, at the end of the Buffalo Peaks Road (aka Forest Service Road 431, about 7 miles off off the highway, smooth dirt). The spot I'm thinking of is near the Lynch Creek Trailhead on the Forest Service page. I've seen a few people camped there, but it's quiet and has access to a few trails into the wilderness, plus is close to trout fishing.

Here is an article about backpacking a "popular" loop hike from that trailhead. By "popular" they mean you might actually see somebody else during a two-day trip. The loop is a pretty easy dayhike, actually, but has good camping around the middle.

Online
User avatar
Posts: 7319
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Need some suggestions

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:25 am

Buffalo Meadows (in the middle of that loop) would be a nice place to hang out. There's beaver ponds with trout nearby, and you can do a day-trip and climb the two Buffalo Peaks from there pretty handily.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Need some suggestions

Postby spiderj » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:23 pm

looking at the San Juan wilderness, looks nice. Any areas to avoid due to environmental issues from Mining?




SurfNTurf wrote:Colorado has several Wilderness Areas that would fit your requirements, the largest (and my personal favorite) being the Weminuche. The South San Juan Wilderness would probably be the most "off the grid." It's generally considered Colorado's wildest regions and remains so remote that some people think it's possibly harboring grizzly bears. :lol: It's far from major cities and lacks 14ers or high 13ers, hence the seclusion.

Excellent guidebook here.

User avatar
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:27 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: Need some suggestions

Postby geojed » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:04 pm

An area that would fit the bill for you guys would be the Ute Lake, Twin Lakes, Flint Lakes area near the Continental Divide in the Weminuche Wilderness.
Starting at the Rio Grande Reservoir, hike up Ute Creek, cross the Continental Divide and camp at Flint Lakes. There are some camping restrictions in the area:

Camping is prohibited:
-- Flint Lake: between shore and Flint and La Osa Trails; and within 200 feet of west and north shores

4-4-2014 12-55-14 PM.jpg
The way there
4-4-2014 12-55-14 PM.jpg (295.13 KiB) Viewed 154 times

4-4-2014 12-56-19 PM.jpg
Zoom in on area
4-4-2014 12-56-19 PM.jpg (262.03 KiB) Viewed 154 times


flint lakes area.jpg
flint lakes area.jpg (194.37 KiB) Viewed 154 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Need some suggestions

Postby spiderj » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:00 pm

This is great!

Can I bother you for some of your time for some suggestions to help narrow down best place to go. Trying to figure out how best to plan this whole trip out.

As stated, about half the group will want to spend most of their time fishing, so camping near a fishing spot would be great. We arent looking to backpack necessarily other than the trek in and out maybe. Would like to find a nice scenic spot where we can set up for the duration, then do day hikes and fish and enjoy the scenery.

Thanks

geojed wrote:An area that would fit the bill for you guys would be the Ute Lake, Twin Lakes, Flint Lakes area near the Continental Divide in the Weminuche Wilderness.
Starting at the Rio Grande Reservoir, hike up Ute Creek, cross the Continental Divide and camp at Flint Lakes. There are some camping restrictions in the area:

Camping is prohibited:
-- Flint Lake: between shore and Flint and La Osa Trails; and within 200 feet of west and north shores

4-4-2014 12-55-14 PM.jpg

4-4-2014 12-56-19 PM.jpg


flint lakes area.jpg

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mojah and 9 guests