Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Salida??

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Salida??

Postby lboyd8298 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Moonlight Pizza definitely rocks!

Postby ajkagy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:37 pm

lboyd8298 wrote:Moonlight Pizza definitely rocks!

they have good brew there as well! They also deliver. It's a tradition for our group to go to Elevation brewery and order moonlight pizza after riding Monarch Crest.

Postby jdorje » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Moonlight is the best place I've found to eat in Salida. If you're a beer snob, check out Moonlight, Amicas (more expensive hippy pizza, also good), and Elevation (the true brewery).
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby madbuck » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:15 pm

Yeah, all good stuff here. When looking for lodging, restaurants, things to do, etc., it makes sense to consider Buena Vista just as much. E.g., I'd go for Moonlight in Salida and Eddyline Brewpub in BV as top choices; both towns have great coffee shops as well. See which place gets you the lodging you're most interested in, and know that you can spend time in both towns easily. When you're done playing for the day, park the car and spend some time walking around each of the towns, and perhaps the easy/accessible hiking trails along the river in both places. Have fun!

Postby Tortoise1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Darn, I've been driving up 285 through Poncha Springs all these years and I've never even seen Salida. Looks to be about 4 miles away - I'll have to stop in next time.

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:13 pm

jdorje wrote:Moonlight is the best place I've found to eat in Salida. If you're a beer snob, check out Moonlight, Amicas (more expensive hippy pizza, also good), and Elevation (the true brewery).

The Fritz is good for more than just touristy pizza and beers... Also the Boathouse Cantina has really good food and a great tap selection. Be sure to also check out Woods High Distillery, too!
Only SUN will melt the sadness.

Postby NM_Hiker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:12 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:
jdorje wrote:Moonlight is the best place I've found to eat in Salida. If you're a beer snob, check out Moonlight, Amicas (more expensive hippy pizza, also good), and Elevation (the true brewery).

The Fritz is good for more than just touristy pizza and beers... Also the Boathouse Cantina has really good food and a great tap selection. Be sure to also check out Woods High Distillery, too!

IMO, the best smothered burrito in all of Colorado is at Boathouse Cantina. Darn, I just got hungry thinking about it.

Salida, an awesome little place on the Arkansas River.

Postby brett.t.burch » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:07 pm

Amicas in Salida and Eddyline in BV are great microbrew options if you're into that, and the food is also good at both IMO.

The Dunes aren't too far, and Poncha Pass is a nice drive. There's some things to do at the top of nearby Monarch pass in the summer as well.

I camped around the base of Tab/Shav one July and it was HOT... definitely not the cooler temps of nearby Leadville, Breck, etc.

Postby KSU Wildcat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:16 pm

I'll also toss in my vote for Moonlight Pizza and Brewery! I agree that the BV/Salida area has lots to offer.
Climb on!

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:47 pm

+1 for Amicas.

Also, be sure to hit some of the many art shops & galleries in town. Some of them have some very good stuff.

And with kids (of any age) a side trip to the Bungled Jungle is an absolute must:

http://www.bungledjungle.com/
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:36 am

Salida is a GREAT base location for outdoor activities in the summer. Biking, Hiking (including 14ers), Rafting etc are all close by.

But, as a town it is a pretty boring little town. It is basically a small stretch of Main Street, that is it. But, if you are going to be out and about every day in the mountains then it does not really matter. Like it was mentioned, get a nice vrbo rental and plan activities around that location.

The places next to the Arkansas River are every cool in the summer. Beautiful area.

There are other towns like Buenva Vista, even smaller but great central location, Leadville, again, very small town, good location not much to do in the town, Aspen, great town, lots to do in town, much more expensive, really good location also, Breckenridge, decent location, cool town but obviously best in winter.

Postby rockchalker » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:28 pm

We did pick Salida and arrived today, staying at place right on the Arkansas River just two blocks from town. Will definitely try Moonlight Pizza one night and will try to find a good, local IPA. Planning on Shavano on Wednesday, maybe the Sand Dunes tomorrow.
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Previous