Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

4WD--Best for Lowest Cost?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: 4WD--Best for Lowest Cost?

Postby justiner » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Just ride a bike. If you need four wheels, ride two.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby 12ersRule » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:54 pm

All these 4wd threads crack me up. So much cheaper and healthier to walk from the 2wd THs.

Dang it, Justiner, beat me by a minute or less.

Postby justiner » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:18 pm

My post is in jest, of course. I don't know anything about cars ;)
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby pvnisher » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:01 pm

pw wrote:
Buckie06 wrote:I have a 2014 Xterra and I love it, But the gas mileage is horrible.

Think about how many times you'll be taking this vehicle on serious 4wd compared to how much daily driving you do around town. amortize that over the lifetime of the car.

Is that worth getting a 18-20mpg (4runner, xterra) car when you can get a 4wd 30mpg car (forester, etc)

Heck yeah I say. Renting something each time you want to go off road sounds like quite a nuisance. I also have an Xterra, quite happy so far. Taking short hops around town gas mileage is pretty crummy, but with sort of careful highway driving (that is to say - being a bit of a slowpoke) you can get in the low 20's for mileage.

Renting might be a nuisance, but it is cheaper. Plus, to avoid the hassle you will probably walk further and find partners with capable vehicles, saving yourself even more money!
If the end goal is to save money, a 4x4 is about your worst option, second only to skydiving onto the summit, although that would be awesome.

Postby geojed » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:31 pm

12ersRule wrote:All these 4wd threads crack me up. So much cheaper and healthier to walk from the 2wd THs.

Ya these threads do get repetitive, But the OP wasn't looking to only get to TH's. See post #7. He was looking to do Off-Road trails too.

To your other point, that's why I like my Forester, it gets me to 80% of 4WD TH's (I'll walk the rest) and practically gets the MPG (~31mpg hwy) of a 2WD 4-cyl sedan. Kind of hits a sweet spot for me. :)
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Tortoise1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:54 pm

I actually like my 2 door Wrangler in the city. It's short, good turning radius, easy to park, easy to back out of a parking space, etc. It's just rough, rough, rough. I sometimes tell passengers, especially off-road, that we're going to loosen any kidney stones they may have. This is similar to an expensive medical procedure called lithotripsy but I don't charge for it.

Btw, the Jeep Liberty diesel is not really a quantum leap forward in fuel economy. The EPA rating is 19 city and 23 highway, or about 4 mpg and 20 percent better than a six cylinder gas automatic but diesel fuel usually costs at least 10 percent more than regular gas. I don't doubt that it will climb nicely at idle though.

Postby 12ersRule » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:08 pm

geojed wrote:
12ersRule wrote:All these 4wd threads crack me up. So much cheaper and healthier to walk from the 2wd THs.

Ya these threads do get repetitive, But the OP wasn't looking to only get to TH's. See post #7. He was looking to do Off-Road trails too.

Thanks Jed. Yeah, agree that it does make sense in the OP's case to get a 4WD, considering his objectives.

Mtn biking those roads would be cool too, though, (except when being overtaken by 4wd drive vehicles)!

Postby Bullwinkle » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:05 am

In the new/newer category, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD makes a nice compromise vehicle. At two years, I have had zero trouble and get 26+ MPG highway. Full set of skid plates and 4-LO. Not the absolute best for the toughest access roads, but it will get you safely, comfortably and economically to almost anywhere you want to go. Lift kits are available.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Postby steelfrog » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Bull--does it have the solid front axle?

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:32 pm

steelfrog wrote:Bull--does it have the solid front axle?

Also - which year Grand Cherokee are you referring to?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby pseudoghost » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:44 pm

A lot of the mileage estimates that I'm seeing on here for various 4WD vehicles look inflated to me. Maybe you can eek out low 20s MPG on an Xterra if you're rolling down Floyd Hill, but the fine folks over at Fuelly who track their mileage under real world conditions disagree. Most people don't drive anywhere near as cautiously as the manufacturer does for it's govt mileage tests.

I wouldn't upgrade if I were you. Sure it sucks to fill up, but the additional cost to purchase a newer vehicle can buy a lot of gas for your guzzler. I'd wager that you probably won't even offset the additional upfront cost for a newer, higher mileage vehicle with the increased fuel savings over the remaining life of your current vehicle. It only makes sense to upgrade for mileage reasons if you drive an exorbitant amount of miles per year (e.g. you drive a taxi 50-100k miles per year). Most people never see the savings from improved gas mileage because they spend way more on a newer car than they would have otherwise for gas.

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:47 pm

So then why enter into the thread and offer your two cents?
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

PreviousNext