Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

convert fixed lid to floating lid

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

convert fixed lid to floating lid

Postby pvnisher » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:46 pm

I have a backpack that I love, it is perfect in almost every way. The one big flaw, however, is that the lid is fixed. And now only that, but the way it is sewn makes it really hard to even use the lid when the thing is full. And strapping a rope under it is nigh on impossible when fully loaded.
I thought about cutting it off myself then attaching some buckles, but the way it is sewn means that's be pretty hard. It is sewn around 3 of the edges.
Anyone know of a place that could do it for me? I found mtnsoles.com, which looks like they would for $45 (minimum), and this job would probably be more. Not a bad price, but looking for other options, too.
Any retrofitters out there I should look at?

Re: convert fixed lid to floating lid

Postby Dave B » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:17 am

Let me guess, BD Epic? Even if not, I can't believe BD didn't put a floating lid on that pack.

Although they specialize in warranty repairs, you might try Ripstop Repairs in Boulder. I've never dealt with them directly (twice via Mont Bell warranty repairs) but have heard the owner is kind of a dick. He is able to stay in business only by doing exceptional work.

A read through of Yelp reviews might be a good idea to prepare yourself for the encounter.
No one cares that you don't like hoppy beers.

Re: convert fixed lid to floating lid

Postby pvnisher » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:32 pm

Grivel freney 40, good guess, though. I'll look that place up, I think it would really make it into the ideal pack.