Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Postby d_baker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:36 pm

I heard about Jim's illness back in December, and I was floored. It was just before winter, and of course a time when Jim would be the most active on the site. It was a strange winter without seeing posts by him.

Yes, Jim and I didn't have a strong friendship, but I still can't fault a guy for his love of the mountains and for the desire to share those moments, both with friends and strangers alike. I'll always remember, and respect, the times Jim called me personally to tell me I'm an ass for my unnecessary slander. :)
But our silly grievances with one another was known by the both of us, because we were open about it to each other, much like Susan has mentioned in her post a few pages back.

I read Stewart's blog post on Jim a while back, and I could relate to what Stewart wrote. But I didn't take it upon myself to reach out to Jim -- I just didn't know what to say to him. I felt bad for him. Given our past, I wasn't sure he would want to hear from me anyway.
He didn't deserve to die this way, this soon.

Climb on Jim, sucks that you didn't get in one more winter summit.
Peace, brother. You're another climber I won't forget.

-Darin

Postby Laujan14 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:14 pm

Beachrodney wrote:RIP Jim

Cancer sucks and if there is a chance to donate to a charity in Jim's name, count me in.

Does Jim have any family that could chime in on this? I lost my mother to this nasty cancer in October and have been donating here: http://www.pancan.org/[/quote]

I did get Jim in touch with PCAN but after consideration he decided to try the clinical trial chemo in Denver instead. I kept in touch with the folks at PCAN - even though they weren't treating him, they wanted to know how he was doing and if there was anything they could offer to him. Very nice organization - I would encourage you to continue to donate to them. As a cancer survivor myself - thank you!
Laura

"Wherever you go.... there you are"

Postby Ulla » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:07 am

I was shocked as well to hear of Jim's passing. I met Jim once. He wanted to get a winter ascent of Little Bear from the SW ridge and 3 of us signed up to go along. Here's his initial post on 14ers back in Dec. 2010. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28224

I knew Little Bear was a difficult peak and didn't think I would summit (especially in the winter), however, I was willing to go along to see it. Three of us (I hadn't met anyone in this group before) converged at Jim's house VERY early on a Saturday morning and we carpooled down. Someone in an earlier post mentioned how much Jim liked to talk. omg, being an introvert, I was going crazy! ha Anyway, we got down there and started up South Little Bear. To make a long story short (I'm sure you can read Jim's TR as well) we didn't summit (although Matt & Jim summited SLB). I learned so many lessons that day that I swore I would never repeat (and haven't). One lesson I learned is safety always comes before giving in to summit fever. Jim was a very fast, strong climber....descending.....not so much! :)

Even though I chose not to hike with him after that, I am saddened by this news,. I enjoyed Jim's photography. My condolences to this community, his family and his friends.
Carol Gerber
"You're off to great places, today is your day---your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!" ~Dr. Seuss

Postby rajz06 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:04 am

I logged in today after a long hiatus hoping to find some witty April Fool's stuff on the site but instead, I was greeted by this... :cry:

Like many others here, I too have enjoyed Jim's prose and photography through this site and had the great pleasure of meeting him during the 2013 winter welcome hike. I remember telling Britt that I couldn't believe how young Jim looked for his age. Only the good die young... :(

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Postby djkest » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:22 pm

I never met Dancesatmoonrise, so I guess I don't know him. But I loved his photography, his trip reports, and his forum posts. A fun, friendly person that was always positive and helpful.

Actually (now that I think about it) I think I did meet him on Quandary Peak for the winter welcomer, and he took some photos that he shared with me.

Condeolences to his friends and family, someone great has been lost.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby rickinco123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:41 pm

First time on this site in months and this is what I see! Wow. Never knew him but exchanged some funny PMs with him a few times and I tried to coax some photography tips from him. I could tell by those exchanges he was someone I would have enjoyed spending a day out on the rock with. Did someone write he was a 5.12 trad leader? Wow! RIP. Sorry I never got out with you, my loss.

Postby Alby426 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:56 am

A great loss of a great man. You will be missed.
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!

Postby TK » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:03 pm

Farewell. Happy climbing.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby huffy13 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:04 am

Very sad to hear. I never met Jim, but he would occasionally PM me with info when I would have questions about specific hikes on the forum. He always had encouraging words and great advice. I always have looked at him as being one of this site's "rockstars". Thoughts and prayers go out to his family, including all those who knew him from the hiking and climbing community.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby hunterwf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:00 pm

So sad to see this. I only spoke to Jim twice but I will never forget his passion for the mountains. His presence will surely be missed on this forum. Prayers go out to his family and friends.
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog

Postby Johnson » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:04 am

I am struck and saddened that Jim didn't want to post an update about his condition with worry that no one would care..... 117 posts so far.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby oldschoolczar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:59 am

So sad.. what a huge loss for this community. I enjoyed reading his posts and was happy when someone (Jim) recognizedd my avatar for once. Sounds like he was an interesting guy.. Fare thee well.
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

PreviousNext