Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt Wilson + Wilson Peak

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mt Wilson + Wilson Peak

Postby ThuChad » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:22 pm

I did Wilson Peak then Mt. Wilson from ROA last August. It was around 16 miles plus or minus 1 mile. It took me right at 12 hours with no snow and hiking pretty slow. On the way back I sped up. 3 hours from Mt. Wilson back to ROA fast hike/jogging.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:14 am

Below are a few pictures from a climb of the Wilsons last year in mid-May. With the high snow levels this year you will definitely run into snow, but not the level in the pictures. The snow in Navajo Basin was firm and did not require snowshoes; Wilson Peak required a decent amount of crampon and ax work with one sketchy downclimb due to ice, pictured below. Mt. Wilson was a little more difficult and required crampons and an ax the entire way.

On a side note the marmots were horrible in the basin early in the season, so be careful where you store items if you do a gear cache. I thought marmots would not be able to get into the mine cart near the ROA saddle, but was dead wrong. When I returned the next day there were no less than 100 marmot footprints on the side of the cart, where at least one persistent marmot spent a few hours jumping to try to get to my gear. Finally he succeeded in getting in and I lost my favorite pair of running shoes and all my remaining food for the next two days. Needless to say I was quite hungry when I got back to the TH.
Attachments
Wilson Group May 2013 018.jpg
Sketchy section on Wilson Peak saddle due to ice beneath the snow
Wilson Group May 2013 018.jpg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Wilson Group May 2013 028.jpg
Mt. Wilson and El Diente from Peak
Wilson Group May 2013 028.jpg (109.39 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Wilson Group May 2013 067.jpg
Wilson Peak from Mt. Wilson
Wilson Group May 2013 067.jpg (124.58 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Postby Scott P » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:24 am

With the high snow levels this year you will definitely run into snow

You will run into snow for sure, but that part of Colorado is actually below normal for snowpack this year. It's nothern and central Colorado that has been above normal.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby jmanner » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:16 pm

OH wow! Thanks guys! I got a lot more info than I expected. It looks like from these pictures that it'll be about what I anticipated snow-wise.

edit: Does look like getting both around June 21/28 will be a big if.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Its very doable - I was hoping to make this happen last summer but in all honesty by the time I got back to top of the pass I was too exhausted to make a run up Wilson Peak. I m sure many of those who are in far better shape then I am have made it to the summit of both those peaks and thought nothing of it.

Good Luck!
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby jmanner » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:10 pm

J-RockandRockpile wrote:Its very doable - I was hoping to make this happen last summer but in all honesty by the time I got back to top of the pass I was too exhausted to make a run up Wilson Peak. I m sure many of those who are in far better shape then I am have made it to the summit of both those peaks and thought nothing of it.

Good Luck!
Thanks! I am just going to play it by ear, if I can get both Bonus! If not, whatever Mount Wilson and El Diente aren't going anywhere.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock

Postby bob863 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:37 pm

right on! the mountains will be there well after all of us have passed on....if you don't feel right hiking/climbing on any given day, the mountains will always welcome you back on another day...

Previous