Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grand Traverse participants this weekend?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Grand Traverse participants this weekend?

Postby dehrlich101 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:38 am

boudreaux wrote:
ajkagy wrote:I saw on their site the Summer GT is going to try and include mtn bikes this year, sounds like they are trying to get more people to do it.

Now that's what I'm talking about Jack!

https://www.facebook.com/gtmountainrun

http://www.zapevent.com/ListActivities.aspx?eventid=4859
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby boudreaux » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks for that link Dehrlich! Now if I could only do something like that! Montezuma's Revenge is something I might be able to partially do, and the other being the Leadville 100!

I saw the article in Sunday's Post. A Reverse of the Traverse saying it was harder than ever!
Ragin Cajun

Postby ulvetano » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 am

Glad that is over! Yep, unfortunately they had to change the course to the 'reverse' due to avi conditions. That was all well and good, but from there it kind of sucked. My team made it up to Friends Hut at 5:45am, which was 1:15 before then normal 7am cutoff at that checkpoint. For the 'reverse' they announced that there would be no cutoffs and that the race would be much faster, with the slowest teams finishing in no longer than 11:30 hours, based on the last Reverse. And that there would be one water station at Friends providing 16 oz of water.

Well, we got to Friends and they provided 2-3 ounces of water. haha... no joke! They said the race directors were supposed to have said 'no water' due to the streams being frozen.

We looped up above Friends into some beautiful terrain and back down the valley to Death Pass. From there the s**t show began with some heinous side hilling for 12+ miles. Come to find out later, that after we passed the turn-off they implemented a cutoff right there and started turning people back down the valley to a bailout point. We eventually made it out to this final checkpoint (Ambush) and there was a SAR guy affiliated with the race gearing up to come and get us and the last couple of pairs on the course. He explained that everyone was well behind expected times and they were scrambling to clear the course. He told us we were at mile 35, but were to descend down to the bailout spot (2-4miles) and get a shuttle out, which we did. Our day ended at 15 hours 45 min.

I believe 60 of the 200 teams DNF'd, with the last finishers in the mid-18 hour range. (they passed Ambush checkpoint prior to the cutoff being implemented and then had to huff it up and over CBMR). The winners are definitely incredibly strong. We did the race on standard AT gear (BD Verdicts, Dynafits, and Garmont Radiums, with a 25 lb pack) vs. the rando ski gear and that was a big mistake, especially with the 'reverse' being implemented. The course was so flat that we could rarely ski down anything and it was basically just a skinning sufferfest. Oh well... I think the traverse would be cool, but we'll just do it ourselves next time, outside of the race. I think I definitely had a wrong impression of what the race is. I had hope for more technical climbing and skiing, but really it is a cross-country race, with some vertical built in. #-o

Postby nkan02 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks for the update, Chuck. I was curious how it went when I heard the race course was changed based on avy conditions. Yeah the standard "skimo" setup doesn't work for a race of this type - found out myself the hard way :lol: My race was only 5 miles and 2.5k though and I think the winners did a longer/harder course in an hour in a half on Trab gear. :-" They whizzed by us on the uphill like we were standing still.

I had hope for more technical climbing and skiing, but really it is a cross-country race, with some vertical built in.
skinning sufferfest

yep, a good summary. Hence Trab gear pretty much looks like cross country gear.

Postby tmahon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:26 am

ulvetano wrote:
Well, we got to Friends and they provided 2-3 ounces of water. haha... no joke! They said the race directors were supposed to have said 'no water' due to the streams being frozen.

That's what you get for a $400 team registration. And a shirt.

Sorry it didn't meet your expectations. Apart from a couple of elites from CB, it seems everyone's experience this weekend fell between considerably disappointed to totally pissed off. My wife and I have done the GT 13 times now, we've always encouraged people to go do it, but we left the race feeling really let down.

It's understandable that they determined the usual route unsafe for an event like this, with 200 teams of two people. But it's now the 3rd time that it's happened (I've done all three Reverse's) and they need to quit pretending as though the Reverse is a "one-off" event and put together a real plan for the hundreds of people who go through considerable effort to get there, be ready, not to mention pay a lot of money. The loop they used, now in it's 3rd time though with some changes, is completely uninspired, is full of pointless extra miles and vert, is technically dull, and is an unacceptable Plan B.

At the race meeting, where they announced this considerable news, the Co-Race Director boldly declared he was going to stay seated for the announcement, since he was racing and he didn't want to tire himself out by standing. It didn't matter what the racers from outside of CB had gone through to get there, it seemed very clear that the RD's own race mattered most to him. It was really a shame.

When asked about a map for the new course he said there wasn't going to be one. Unbelievable. When asked about support, and the notion that a single aid station might be light for a race of this length, his reply was "you have a stove..." It was hard to believe that the well being and overall experience of the general race field was the priority at all. The simple lack of a provided map of the new course said it all. They couldn't have cared less for the well being of the average participant/ first timer.

The RD ended up winning the race, and CB as a whole did very well, but of course that's only after the top five male finishers (from SLC) from last year, bailed to go do something more fun in the La Sals. They made the right call.

I would encourage you, and anyone who felt disappointed to have doled out $400 and have next to nothing to show for it but some hard feelings, to write the Race a letter, and share your thoughts. We're doing that. The website has a mailing address.

The need to do better.
Ted

Postby ulvetano » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:44 am

Well said, Ted. Wow, I can't believe you have done that course all 3 times! Everything you said resonates strongly with me. Our group was similarly mystified by 'Wick's pre-race talk, him racing in and winning the event, etc. Perhaps he shouldn't have been racing and should have been working on the event logistics. I've been trying to keep my mouth shut this week to not play the part of sour grapes after not finishing, but yes, I will write a letter next week once I'm less fired up.

Postby ajkagy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:48 am

tmahon wrote:
ulvetano wrote:

Sorry it didn't meet your expectations. Apart from a couple of elites from CB, it seems everyone's experience this weekend fell between considerably disappointed to totally pissed off. My wife and I have done the GT 13 times now, we've always encouraged people to go do it, but we left the race feeling really let down.

It's understandable that they determined the usual route unsafe for an event like this, with 200 teams of two people. But it's now the 3rd time that it's happened (I've done all three Reverse's) and they need to quit pretending as though the Reverse is a "one-off" event and put together a real plan for the hundreds of people who go through considerable effort to get there, be ready, not to mention pay a lot of money. The loop they used, now in it's 3rd time though with some changes, is completely uninspired, is full of pointless extra miles and vert, is technically dull, and is an unacceptable Plan B.

At the race meeting, where they announced this considerable news, the Co-Race Director boldly declared he was going to stay seated for the announcement, since he was racing and he didn't want to tire himself out by standing. It didn't matter what the racers from outside of CB had gone through to get there, it seemed very clear that the RD's own race mattered most to him. It was really a shame.

When asked about a map for the new course he said there wasn't going to be one. Unbelievable. When asked about support, and the notion that a single aid station might be light for a race of this length, his reply was "you have a stove..." It was hard to believe that the well being and overall experience of the general race field was the priority at all. The simple lack of a provided map of the new course said it all. They couldn't have cared less for the well being of the average participant/ first timer.

The RD ended up winning the race, and CB as a whole did very well, but of course that's only after the top five male finishers (from SLC) from last year, bailed to go do something more fun in the La Sals. They made the right call.

I would encourage you, and anyone who felt disappointed to have doled out $400 and have next to nothing to show for it but some hard feelings, to write the Race a letter, and share your thoughts. We're doing that. The website has a mailing address.

The need to do better.
Ted

pretty sad all around, but not surprising given the attitudes of some of the "elites" in this town. I didn't even do the race and was disappointed when hearing about people's plans of being in Aspen after the race/failed logistics, ect and obviously the directors of the race didn't care. It won't be surprising at all if a lot of people don't come back next year and I don't blame them. $400 is a lot of money to go on a tour without any really good skiing. If they were prepared, there is a tremendous amount of great terrain they could have utilized to make it a great race.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:14 am

This makes me a bit skeptical about the summer version, as well. Thanks for the info

Postby Bean » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:33 pm

mountaingoat-G wrote:This makes me a bit skeptical about the summer version, as well. Thanks for the info

I'm similarly concerned. I've been thinking pretty hard about the mtb version but am not so sure now.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby ajkagy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Bean wrote:
mountaingoat-G wrote:This makes me a bit skeptical about the summer version, as well. Thanks for the info

I'm similarly concerned. I've been thinking pretty hard about the mtb version but am not so sure now.

it might be fun if it were affordable, but if it's anywhere close to $400, forget that.

there's always the alternative pearl pass tour: http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/page.cfm?pageid=10725
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:02 pm

tmahon wrote:
ulvetano wrote:

The need to do better.
Ted

A High School friend of mine posted that he ditched the GT for the La Sals, didn't realize he got 2nd place last year. Looked like they had fun going from south of Moab to Castle Valley instead.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Previous