Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

hiking appalachian trail

Items that do not fit the categories above.

hiking appalachian trail

Postby ratherbclimbin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:20 am

14ers.com has been such an amazing resource for me this past year and I am so excited to let everyone know alpinedivine and I will be hiking the pinhoti trail and Appalachian trail as a thru hike starting mid February. Thanks 14er members for making 2013 a unforgetful year 23 summits.

Re: hiking appalachian trail

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:30 am

Awesome! I did the southern 1000 miles of the AT last spring, NOBO, Springer to Harpers, planning on heading back this spring to do another few hundred, followed by SOBO from Katadin late this summer to hopefully finish or get close. Interesting experience! Glad you're going early. Good luck! I assume you know about whiteblaze.net?

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:34 am

Good Luck on your attempt of the AT!

I grew up about an hour south of Springer so I know the area pretty well. Are you planning to use the Benton-Mackaye Trail to connect between the Pinhoti and the AT? Or take a little time off between the trails to relax before setting off for Maine?

Also if you’re around Springer area at the end of March or beginning of April look for my Dad on the trail. He hands out hiking staffs that he hand carves for free to NB thru hikers. You don’t have to take one but if you see him say hello. He has had many staffs make it to Katahdin.

Also let us know what trail name you end up with, that’s a rite of passage! Climbing_Rob, did you ever get a trail name??
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:07 am

EatinHardtack wrote:... Also if you’re around Springer area at the end of March or beginning of April look for my Dad on the trail. He hands out hiking staffs that he hand carves for free to NB thru hikers. You don’t have to take one but if you see him say hello. He has had many staffs make it to Katahdin.

Also let us know what trail name you end up with, that’s a rite of passage! Climbing_Rob, did you ever get a trail name??
Hey! I saw your dad last year, I think at least, he offered me a really nice looking carved hiking stick somewhere in GA, I think. I turned him down just because I generally only use one trekking pole and I had one and I wasn't planning on going all the way to Katadin (I'm on the two-year plan) and he basically said something like: "take this walking stick to Katadin", something like that. Anyway, we chatted, nice guy. He won't remember me, but I went by "Rocket", not because of my speed, but my profession.

Postby ratherbclimbin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:12 am

I am doing the 70 mile connector between the pinhoti trail and Springer MT on the Benton mackaye trail. Thank you for all of the well wishes. I am extremely excited. I have heard of whiteblaze and I am a member. Tons of useful information there also. I will look definately look out for your dad on the trail, maybe even have some good conversation. Another exciting point is we will be back in July and at that time we will be looking to complete the 14ers this year. Got alot of challenges ahead especially the class 4 terrain which I am only.minimally experienced in. Soooooo excited.

Postby Dex » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:25 am

ratherbclimbin wrote:I am doing the 70 mile connector between the pinhoti trail and Springer MT on the Benton mackaye trail. Thank you for all of the well wishes. I am extremely excited. I have heard of whiteblaze and I am a member. Tons of useful information there also. I will look definately look out for your dad on the trail, maybe even have some good conversation. Another exciting point is we will be back in July and at that time we will be looking to complete the 14ers this year. Got alot of challenges ahead especially the class 4 terrain which I am only.minimally experienced in. Soooooo excited.

Stop off at the Amicoloa Falls lodge - they have an all you can eat buffet.

http://amicalolafallslodge.com/
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby dpage » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:27 pm

Enjoy VA's triple crown of Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's Knob and Tinker Cliffs through my hometown of Roanoke! The Homeplace in Catawba serves up all you can eat country/southern cooking if you need to clog your arteries a bit and just off the trail in Daleville, VA you have wonderful Mill Mountain Coffee and Outdoor Trails if you need to replace any gear/clothing or to set up shuttles. Have fun!

Postby BAMC25 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Good luck! I'm planning on an AT thru hike next year. I'd love to be kept in loop if you have a blog you'll be updating along the way.

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:39 pm

climbing_rob wrote:
EatinHardtack wrote:... Also if you’re around Springer area at the end of March or beginning of April look for my Dad on the trail. He hands out hiking staffs that he hand carves for free to NB thru hikers. You don’t have to take one but if you see him say hello. He has had many staffs make it to Katahdin.

Hey! I saw your dad last year, I think at least, he offered me a really nice looking carved hiking stick somewhere in GA, I think. I turned him down just because I generally only use one trekking pole and I had one and I wasn't planning on going all the way to Katadin (I'm on the two-year plan) and he basically said something like: "take this walking stick to Katadin", something like that. Anyway, we chatted, nice guy. He won't remember me, but I went by "Rocket", not because of my speed, but my profession.

Just chatted with my dad and he definitely remembers you climbing_rob. He told me he has a new batch of hiking staffs ready for more thru-hikers this season. It's one of his hobbies during the off season to find good sticks to use.

Ratherbclimbn- My old mans trail name is Speedbump. Say hi if you see him and chat him up. He enjoys hearing everyone's stories and why they are out there.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Shattuck311 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm

Right on! I'll be doing the AT SOBO, starting around late July/early August. Trail name is Twinkle Toes.... Don't ask. If you're in the Denver area, we should grab a beer, or go for a hike. It would be awesome if we recognized eachother when we pass somewhere on the trail :)

Best of luck to you, sir! :-D

Postby jdawud » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:43 am

Enjoy it! I've hiked the PCT twice and did a thruhike of the 14ers last summer. One warning: Long distance hiking is awesome but will totally ruin you for settled life.

Junaid Dawud
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby climbing_rob » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:23 am

jdawud wrote:Enjoy it! I've hiked the PCT twice and did a thruhike of the 14ers last summer. One warning: Long distance hiking is awesome but will totally ruin you for settled life.
The only thing I might say to this is that your wording is improper, I might have said: "One Benefit: Long distance hiking is awesome and will totally ruin you for settled life."

BTW: I'm absolutely enthralled and amazed by your 14er thru, well done, and there goes the last remnants of my settled life...

Next