Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trail Runners: Need shoe recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Trail Runners: Need shoe recommendations

Postby mtnjim » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:28 pm

So from the reviews online, I've discovered that the Bushidos are narrow and wide, stiff and flexible, and do and do not have a forefoot plate =D> .

I have just ordered a pair from Running Warehouse, slight discount and really great shipping and return policies. They had one pair in my size and they should be here Wed or Thurs. We'll see...

PK, I have had a couple pairs of XA Pros. Salomons just don't fit me right. I had one pair of....I think the model was actually called Trailrunner... that I liked and wore out, then the replacement in the same model fit entirely differently, a very common problem in running shoes for me.

Thanks, all

Postby colorado yooper » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Jeff Valliere wrote:
mtnjim wrote:Bushido looks interesting. Now if someone just had my size.... An internet search of local running stores comes up with nothing in my size but a pair of Raptors and a pair of Wildcats.

I looked at your review, Jeff, and looked at a few others through Google and it looks as though the shoe might do. One of the reviews thought that the shoe was a little stiff which would really be a plus for me as I have to deal with a not-quite-right right ankle and foot. I particularly need a solid forefoot plate.

Does it sound like the Bushido would work?

A couple of reviews say that they run narrow. But not narrower than a Raptor or Wildcat?

The fit of the Bushido is a bit more generous in the forefoot than other Sportiva models in my opinion. Not overly so, but just enough to be comfortable and not lose toenails, yet maintain control and a performance oriented feel. Of course, this is my take for my foot, but I have heard the same from others as well. As far as stiffness goes, it is stiff, but not overly so, just provides excellent protection and is quite responsive.

I agree about the forefoot. I think they did that for really long runs and foot swelling.
To the High Crags!

Postby ezabielski » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:08 am

I've got Bushido's too. I returned my original pair because the heel cup was all together too small. The sides of the heel were too narrow for my foot, but the Bushido also has a pretty rigid heel cup and the back of the heel was annoying me after long days. I haven't used my new pair, which are a half size bigger, but I think it should be all good.

Postby Danny504 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:01 pm

I picked up a pair of Altra Lone Peak 1.5s today. I ran just a short 2 miles on mostly gravel/dirt trail but they felt great. The reviews have me worried, a lot of people saying the life time of them being around 200 miles which won't cut it. I'm excited to see how they hold up against actual rock on some higher elevation trails. I personally went with them based off the fit, the toe box is wide and flexs with my awkward forefoot.

Postby rockchalker » Tue May 27, 2014 5:35 pm

The Olympus is Altra's recommended trail shoe. I have not tried them but a friend loves them. Anyone else with any experience with the Altra's?
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Postby Shaolin » Tue May 27, 2014 6:04 pm

I like my Brooks Cascadia 5.
Last edited by Shaolin on Wed May 28, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mtree » Wed May 28, 2014 10:22 am

After researching and trying on multitudes of shoes, I recently picked up a pair of Salomon Sense Mantra II. So far, I'm very pleased with them. Feels like I can run forever. Also, they're decent on pavement. Best trail runners I've owned thus far.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby Jeff Valliere » Wed May 28, 2014 10:40 am

A few recent favorites of mine:

La Sportiva Bushido (my thoughts on them with some photos: http://www.jeffvalliere.blogspot.com/2014/02/monday-022414-la-sportiva-bushido.html )

Hoka Huaka that is due out in July. I used them for the Bolder Boulder and also plan to use them for the Pikes Peak Marathon, talk about range (short review and photos: http://www.jeffvalliere.blogspot.com/2014/05/hoka-huaka.html)

Salomon Sense Pro, similar to the Mantra II, but with a better upper (otherwise it is essentially the same shoe).

Brooks PureGrit 3, not available yet, but has a beefed up outsole and is quite sturdy for everyday mountain running and performs quite well when pushed. Super comfortable with roomy toe box.

Postby summit21 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:39 am

Just got a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3 the other day and love them so far. The tread looks like a knobby 4x4 tire, very grippy. They are much lighter than my old XA pro 3D's.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Postby dsr1986 » Thu May 29, 2014 4:20 pm

summit21 wrote:Just got a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3 the other day and love them so far. The tread looks like a knobby 4x4 tire, very grippy. They are much lighter than my old XA pro 3D's.

I've got the Speedcross 3 also. Great tread, super lightweight.
Whats with Today, today?

Postby jomagam » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:43 pm

marcstrawser wrote:
summit21 wrote:Just got a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3 the other day and love them so far. The tread looks like a knobby 4x4 tire, very grippy. They are much lighter than my old XA pro 3D's.

Yeah, bought them then immediately returned them after realizing they wouldn't be so wonderful on the traverses or through boulder fields...seem like awesome running shoes though lol. Fit well, were comfortable, look solid.

Why wouldn't they be good for traverses ? I use them on technical terrain where I wouldn't true my Hokas.

Previous