Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Birds of Prey

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Birds of Prey

Postby fahixson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:12 am

Anyone attending Birds of Prey World Cup races this year (or in years past)?

I've never tried winter sports in person as a spectator, just curious to hear from others that have attended or thinking about it.

Re: Birds of Prey

Postby colorado yooper » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 am

I don't know about going but we saw folks training at Copper on Saturday and I just about drove off of 70. I'd seriously consider it if I were you. This guy/gal we saw was FLYING!
To the High Crags!

Postby goingup » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:27 am

I volunteered this event a couple of years in a row (not doing it this year) and I thought it was pretty cool. Not really a huge fan of ski racing but ya gotta respect the speed.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where no one intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more......

Postby PaliKona » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:38 am

I've watched t a few times and I think it's awesome. They go so fast it's mind boggling, especially if you know what it's like to ski the course. There's a drop off near the top of the course that banks right...it's usually a sheet of ice during the year. To think they tuck down that at 80 mph is unreal.
I think we're really lucky here to have an event like that - it's the only North American stop each year.

Postby Bill G » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:29 am

This year the girls are racing too. So it will be pretty awesome. The girls go Thanksgiving weekend and the guys the following weekend. Seems the majority of the spectators are from Europe. If you know x racers or know the right people, there are some amazing parties each day. Helps to have a home in the valley.

Next season are the world championships. This will be the 3rd time at Vail/BC. Two weeks of fun.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:33 am

I usually see a part of it every year, at least in the years that they have enough snow to be able to ski to the spectator area. Its pretty cool to watch, I will usually stop along the ski to the spectator area to get different views, and you can see part of it from the lift if you are lucky on your timing. First time they are officially adding the women's race, and they cut a new course for them. The lift will have good views of the women's course as it runs parts of Peregrine and the new Kestrel run.

As noted above, we are hosting the 2015 World Championships here which will really be special! In non-Olympic years it is basically ski racing's "super bowl".
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby johnF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:55 pm

I've been in the past, and to add to what others have said, the set-up at the spectator area at the finish line is pretty nice. Bleachers, huge screen showing the racers as they come down the course, live announcer blaring on loudspeakers, people waving flags and shaking cowbells, etc. It's a fun atmosphere. Definitely worth checking out once if you've never done it.

Postby Mel McKinney » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:03 pm

We strapped on snowshoes one year and hiked up to one of the jumps, either Harrier or Red Tail. Seems like it was the higher of the two. Cool perspective.

It is worth checking out the race at least once. Free parking at the foot of Beaver Creek (or in Avon). You take a bus up to the Village and then a second to the spectator area.

http://www.vvf.org/athletics/birds-of-prey-world-cup/birds-of-prey-course-maps.aspx
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby fahixson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks all, good info and responses. I was going to ask specifically about walking/hiking/snowshoeing up to Harrier or Red Tail. Thanks Mel for answering before I asked and the link. Look forward to giving it a try sometime.

Postby Bill G » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 pm

if you are doing the spectator thing, BC provides free buses to the finish area from BC village. You can always hike/snowshoe up the Beaver Lake trail instead.