Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
User avatar
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby rijaca » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:45 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
12ersRule wrote:Oh man, 12 years. That sounds positively torturous.


It was only torturous when I ran into a few hiking curmudgeons along the way.


I resemble that remark!

highpilgrim wrote: I'm 2 away from finishing....
Just see if I'll volunteer to go with you again.... [-(

:iluvbeer:
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

User avatar
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby yedi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:55 am

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm in Seattle now, but will likely be moving in the near-ish future. I probably can't make Colorado work in the move, though, so I'll still have to catch a flight to get there.

TallGrass wrote:Short answer would be to cluster, like doing doing the Bells+Pyramid, Castle+Conundrum, DemoLincBrosCam, and so on. The logistics of some lend them to solo peaks like Holy Cross, Longs, and Pikes.


I agree that this makes the most sense. I guess one thing I was trying to get at with my inartful question is which clusters make the most sense for discrete trips? I'm wondering what has worked for other out-of-staters in terms of a blueprint for "chunking" up the list (as my dad would say), i.e., this weekend trip we did DeCaLiBron, the next trip weekend we did Chicago Basin, the following weekend we did the Bells, etc.

User avatar
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: Denver, Frisco, KC

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby tlongpine » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:21 am

yedi wrote:Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm in Seattle now, but will likely be moving in the near-ish future. I probably can't make Colorado work in the move, though, so I'll still have to catch a flight to get there.

TallGrass wrote:Short answer would be to cluster, like doing doing the Bells+Pyramid, Castle+Conundrum, DemoLincBrosCam, and so on. The logistics of some lend them to solo peaks like Holy Cross, Longs, and Pikes.


I agree that this makes the most sense. I guess one thing I was trying to get at with my inartful question is which clusters make the most sense for discrete trips? I'm wondering what has worked for other out-of-staters in terms of a blueprint for "chunking" up the list (as my dad would say), i.e., this weekend trip we did DeCaLiBron, the next trip weekend we did Chicago Basin, the following weekend we did the Bells, etc.


The Crestones. South Colony Lakes basin easily accesses 3 14ers, and can provide committed access to the Kit Carson Massif.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

User avatar
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: Denver, Frisco, KC

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby tlongpine » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:11 am

yedi wrote:Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm in Seattle now, but will likely be moving in the near-ish future. I probably can't make Colorado work in the move, though, so I'll still have to catch a flight to get there.

TallGrass wrote:Short answer would be to cluster, like doing doing the Bells+Pyramid, Castle+Conundrum, DemoLincBrosCam, and so on. The logistics of some lend them to solo peaks like Holy Cross, Longs, and Pikes.


I agree that this makes the most sense. I guess one thing I was trying to get at with my inartful question is which clusters make the most sense for discrete trips? I'm wondering what has worked for other out-of-staters in terms of a blueprint for "chunking" up the list (as my dad would say), i.e., this weekend trip we did DeCaLiBron, the next trip weekend we did Chicago Basin, the following weekend we did the Bells, etc.


These aren't single day routes, but rather, weekend/multi-day clusters.

Mosquito/10 mile cluster:
DeCaLiBron + Sherman & Quandary

Crestone Group:
Crestone Needle, Crestone Peak, Humboldt & via Bears Playground Kit Carson and Challenger Point

Blanca Group:
Ellingwood, Little Bear, Blanca (and maybe Lindsey)

Bells Cluster:
North Maroon, Maroon, Pyramid

Chicago Basin:
Mt Eolus, North Eolus, Sunlight, Windom

Wilson Group:
Mt Wilson, Wilson Peak, El Diente

Handies Group:
Sunshine, Redcloud, Handies

BelOxMo + Huron
Belford, Oxford, Missouri, Huron

Frange Cluster
Evans/Bierstadt and Grays/Torreys

Collegiate Cluster
Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Columbia

Top of the Rockies Cluster
Massive, La Plata, Elbert

Southern Sawatch
Antero, Tab, Shavano

After that you're larger left with two-fers and singles.

Two-fers:
Uncompahgre & Wetterhorn
Castle & Conundrum (which could be worked into an ambitious itenerary that includes the Bell Cluster.)
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

User avatar
Posts: 1619
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:47 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:21 am

rijaca wrote:I resemble that remark!


Maybe you should consider a new avatar that captures the curmudgeon a little better. I stayed with the bovine theme. :wink: Here you go:

rijaca new.jpg
rijaca new.jpg (301.25 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
Posts: 990
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby sunny1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:34 am

ha ha ha ha ha!!! =D> :lol:

Pilgrim, one might suggest you have an ability to attract curmudgeons. :wink:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

User avatar
Posts: 1619
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:47 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:59 am

sunny1 wrote:Pilgrim, one might suggest you have an ability to attract curmudgeons.


Opposites attract after all; I have such an easy going, friendly disposition that many appreciate. Now that I think about it, I should probably run for office. :roll:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
Posts: 697
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm 6 years into this with 36 completed so far. While I figure to be on the 10 year plan - at least I'll finsih quicker than "12ers rule". I live in Michigan and typically I take only one trip a year - used to be for a whole week, but last few years for only 5 or 6 day trips.

While I want I to finish and try to summit as many peaks as I can each trip, I try to enjoy it as much as possible. Traveling from one peak to the other and then the next can get to be tiresome logistically. Basically you wake up early, climb, then go to town to recover over dinner or lunch, then buy food for the next day, drive to the next trailhead, then fiddle with gear etc. and by that time it's about bedtime. Do that 6 days in a row and it's very tiresome.

So instead I try to do overnight trips and spend a few days at one location (such as the Bells, Chicago Basin etc.) This allows for a more relaxed, but still productive climbing trip. Like last year I spent 3 days at the Bells, took a rest/driving day, and then did Elbert and Bel/Ox over the next two days to finish the trip. I still did 5 peaks in 6 days, but it was not overly rushed as I had time to relax at camp on some of the nights and the day off allowed for the pace to be bearable.

Concentrate more on arranging your trips for having a good time and less about how many peaks you can stuff in. You'll eventually finish if it's important to you.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

User avatar
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:30 am
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby 12ersRule » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Wish I lived in CO wrote:While I figure to be on the 10 year plan - at least I'll finsih quicker than "12ers rule"


12ersRule didn't finish the 14ers, 49ersRule did.

User avatar
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby TallGrass » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:26 pm

tlongpine wrote: Handies Group:
Sunshine, Redcloud, Handies
...
Two-fers:
Uncompahgre & Wetterhorn

This could also be done as a Weekend Fiver, especially considering how long it takes to get to Lake City. I'd do Wett to Unc loop on day one, short drive to Lake City to refresh for the night, or just pass through for food. Then RedHandSun walk-ups on the second day.

If you give it a couple more days, you can "rest" by doing the Alpine Loop (recommended) and visiting Ouray and Silverton as well. Loop routes to/from Ouray are the most difficult (Mineral Creek, Corkscrew-Cali) of the loop which I wouldn't want to do without knobby 4x4, (though I did them with street 2x1 :twisted: ). If you have a non-hiking 4x4 friend, they could even drop you off at Wett's TH and pick you up at Unc's up Nellie Creek Road (though this affects 3,000' vert gain).
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

User avatar
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby yedi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:07 pm

tlongpine wrote:These aren't single day routes, but rather, weekend/multi-day clusters.

Mosquito/10 mile cluster:
DeCaLiBron + Sherman & Quandary

Crestone Group:
Crestone Needle, Crestone Peak, Humboldt & via Bears Playground Kit Carson and Challenger Point

Blanca Group:
Ellingwood, Little Bear, Blanca (and maybe Lindsey)

Bells Cluster:
North Maroon, Maroon, Pyramid

Chicago Basin:
Mt Eolus, North Eolus, Sunlight, Windom

Wilson Group:
Mt Wilson, Wilson Peak, El Diente

Handies Group:
Sunshine, Redcloud, Handies

BelOxMo + Huron
Belford, Oxford, Missouri, Huron

Frange Cluster
Evans/Bierstadt and Grays/Torreys

Collegiate Cluster
Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Columbia

Top of the Rockies Cluster
Massive, La Plata, Elbert

Southern Sawatch
Antero, Tab, Shavano

After that you're larger left with two-fers and singles.

Two-fers:
Uncompahgre & Wetterhorn
Castle & Conundrum (which could be worked into an ambitious itenerary that includes the Bell Cluster.)


TallGrass wrote:This could also be done as a Weekend Fiver, especially considering how long it takes to get to Lake City. I'd do Wett to Unc loop on day one, short drive to Lake City to refresh for the night, or just pass through for food. Then RedHandSun walk-ups on the second day.

If you give it a couple more days, you can "rest" by doing the Alpine Loop (recommended) and visiting Ouray and Silverton as well. Loop routes to/from Ouray are the most difficult (Mineral Creek, Corkscrew-Cali) of the loop which I wouldn't want to do without knobby 4x4, (though I did them with street 2x1 :twisted: ). If you have a non-hiking 4x4 friend, they could even drop you off at Wett's TH and pick you up at Unc's up Nellie Creek Road (though this affects 3,000' vert gain).


Thanks. This is exactly the information I was looking for. Very helpful.

Wish I lived in CO wrote:Concentrate more on arranging your trips for having a good time and less about how many peaks you can stuff in. You'll eventually finish if it's important to you.


Good advice. I hope I can control the Type A need to finish lists long enough to heed it.

Thanks again for all the responses.

User avatar
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: Parker, CO

Re: Out-of-towner strategy for finishing 58?

Postby boudreaux » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:21 pm

If you are coming from Seattle, I bet the possibilities are endless for duplicating a 5 14er trip in the Cascades. With all the peaks in WA with big elevation gains, it shouldn't be too hard to do!
Ragin Cajun

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests