Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backcountry snowboard/ski partners

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Backcountry snowboard/ski partners

Postby MatB » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Plannin on heading up tomorrow. Can you still drive up to treelike?

Thanks,
Mat
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby TeamDino5280 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:17 pm

unfortunatly not today. We were able to get to the secondary "parking-ish" area. But it is not a bad skin from that point to tree line

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:50 am

Just stumbled on this site, pretty cool:

http://grandlin.es/zones/berthoud-pass/

Anybody up for a quick tour on Saturday AM? I'd like to keep it low risk (<~25 degrees) if possible.

For you guys familiar with Berthoud Pass, what are some nice "low-risk" runs? This will be my first trip out this year, so just want some mellow runs.

Man, playing with the site above and caltopo/hillmaps is awesome.. I'm not getting shite done at work!
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby SeracZack » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:03 am

oldschoolczar wrote:
Anybody up for a quick tour on Saturday AM?

Yep. I'll send you a PM.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby hardtryer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:31 am

always looking for more shred friends!!!

avy level 1, splitboard, and climbing gear.

I have toured and am comfortable at LP, JP, BP. would love to tour bigger terrain mid winter- looking for the go getters.. currently weekends only but feb-april should be more flexible..

Postby g-pow » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:54 pm

oldschoolczar wrote:Just stumbled on this site, pretty cool:

Hey! That's my project! I've been lurking/scooping up beta from here for a long time so I figured I was way overdue on creating an account. Glad to see some people are getting use out of "Grand Lines" though.

oldschoolczar wrote:For you guys familiar with Berthoud Pass, what are some nice "low-risk" runs? This will be my first trip out this year, so just want some mellow runs.

I actually saw this post last Friday and wanted to throw out some suggestions for good early season and "low-risk" runs at the pass but registration was closed until Monday so I couldn't get on here. Hope you got out this weekend anyways! I'm stuck on the east coast for work :( . Anyways, without being too self promotey, I threw up a blog post about good early season lines that was sort of meant to be in response to your asking. http://grandlin.es/early-season-guide-to-berthoud-pass/ Hopefully some of that info is useful to people here.

The short version is:
Hells Half Acre
Shop Chutes
East Side Runs
Mainline
The Meadows
South Chutes Runout
Moonlight Bowl
High Trail Trees
Current Creek Bench
Flume

Postby YooperJonKornely » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Anyone going to Loveland Pass on Saturday night for the fullmoon?

Edit: I should also add to the conversation :) I'm looking for partners to ride with this winter as well... I live COS, and recently got more flexibility in my schedule - not just weekends off - and I snowboard alot. I have the Epic Pass, but I'm more interested in backcountry riding. I have all the gear and knowledge of it (besides a splitboard... soon enough...), so if anyone is looking to get out and needs a partner hit me up.

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:24 pm

g-pow wrote:
oldschoolczar wrote:Just stumbled on this site, pretty cool:

Hey! That's my project! I've been lurking/scooping up beta from here for a long time so I figured I was way overdue on creating an account. Glad to see some people are getting use out of "Grand Lines" though.

Wow, nice site. Looks like I have some exploring to do! Awesome \:D/
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby MatB » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:50 pm

[quote="YooperJonKornely"]Anyone going to Loveland Pass on Saturday night for the fullmoon?

Fortunately, that fullmoon might be irrelavant. :) It's still a few days out but something to keep an eye on.

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"

Postby oldschoolczar » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:52 pm

G-Pow, great job on the site! Really cool stuff.. and thanks for the recommendations! I just went to Copper last weekend but might be looking for some fresh stuff this weekend!
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby g-pow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 am

bergsteigen wrote:Wow, nice site. Looks like I have some exploring to do! Awesome \:D/

Thanks! If you ever want recs on what's good around BP shoot me a message, I live up there and try and get out all the time so I usually have a good feeling for what's going on.

oldschoolczar wrote:G-Pow, great job on the site! Really cool stuff.. and thanks for the recommendations! I just went to Copper last weekend but might be looking for some fresh stuff this weekend!

Thanks! Probably didn't miss much last weekend BC wise. The pass has an OK base now, not a lot of depth, but because of the fairly consistent snowfall for a while here this fall there's a lot of water content in it. Which means if we pick up even 6 inches or so this weekend it could be really fun again.

Get out there for me guys! I'm stuck on the east coast until the 22nd ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) .

Also, if anyone wants a touring partner I'm usually game for dawn patrols or late afternoon laps at Berthoud, or bigger weekend missions around the state/anywhere.

Postby MatB » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:50 pm

G-pow, THANKS for the contribution. Awesome piece of intel you provided there.

PreviousNext