Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Kili pearls?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Kili pearls?

Postby douglas » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks everyone for the advice - very helpful indeed!
I'm leaving on Saturday and WAY excited. Wish me luck!

Postby rebeka21 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:59 am

I lived with a local family in Tanzania for a few months when I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro and it gave me even more respect for the guides and porters I met on the mountain. Take the time to really get to know the locals because it makes the trip so much more memorable. I summitted on Christmas morning a few years ago, and our guide took the time to bring up a bottle of wine and Christmas hats so the three of us climbing could celebrate the holiday in style. We split the bottle of wine between like 6 of us of course, since we didn't want to get too dehydrated for the trek down.

Also, the nicest travelers I ever meet are those who climb. Take the time to walk from tent to tent and introduce yourself to the other teams. I've made great connections by doing this. When I was on Kili, I actually met a group of guys from Dublin who put me in contact with a family in Nepal who I lived with this past December. You never know who you will meet on the mountain so take your time to really get to know everyone! Have an amazing trip and remember, pole pole!!! \:D/

Here's an idea of some of the views you're in for:

Postby Patinator » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:09 am

- Bring a book and a journal - you will only be hiking for a few hours a day and will have a lot of downtime.
- If the guide service you use offers an option of having your own portable toilet, get that option. I went into one of the community toilets just out of curiosity and was glad I had my own.
- Consider a daytime summit instead of at sunrise. You will stay a lot warmer and get to see the entire time. The sunrise summit is just the default way of doing things and my guide let me start for the summit at noon.
- I wish I would have given away more of my gear to the guide team after the climb in addition to tipping them. My reasoning was that I had just bought a lot of it, but those guys really need it.
- In case you don't carry pictures of your family, friends, home, etc. already, bring them and show them to your guide team and other climbers. Meet other climbers.
- If you are in really good shape, acclimatize easily and want to make it more challenging, consider one of the more direct shorter routes if they are open and part of your guide team's offering.

Postby scalba123 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:30 am

Patinator wrote:- Bring a book and a journal - you will only be hiking for a few hours a day and will have a lot of downtime.

+1

I may be a dork, but I made sure to write down when we left/arrived our camps, distance travelled, what we ate, etc. I also included the names of our guides. Good stuff to have for future reference.

Postby douglas » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Had an amazing trip. Thanks everyone for the advice - it was appreciated and helped immensely.
Here's my report from the trip.

http://dougandmelaniechristensen.blogspot.com/

Postby fleetmack » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:13 am

Nicely done, you will relish this forever. Your trip report brought back some memories for me, namely how much I loved Barranco camp; those trees around there are so awesome!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Previous