Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Kelso Ridge Conditions

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Kelso Ridge Conditions

Postby jchapell » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Does anyone have recent beta on Kelso Ridge? We would like to try it but want to avoid iced/bad conditions this weekend.

Re: Kelso Ridge Conditions

Postby davebobk47 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Woke up this morning with a fair amount of snow 12k+ on Grays and Torreys. Guessing S side of the ridge will melt out quick and will leave patches on N side of ridge. Should be reasonable conditions, just will need to be careful in places (I'm thinking immediately after the transition from knife edge onto white rock).
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence

Postby wrchad23 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:12 am

davebobk47 wrote:I'm thinking immediately after the transition from knife edge onto white rock.

Agreed. That is one spot I wouldn't want to be with wet/snow/ice and that side doesn't get direct sunlight early in the day.

Postby krishcane » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:09 am

I did Kelso Ridge to the summit of Torreys once last year, and I planned to climb it again yesterday with two friends, but when we got to the trailhead, things were covered in ice and the summits had snow above 13K. We opted to hike Grays instead and I climbed Kelso Peak via the grassy slopes on the way back. I checked out Kelso Ridge from that good vantage point. There is definitely snow up there in shady pockets and on the north side, and I would expect some ice where things melted and refroze. The ice on parts of the trail of Grays was that rock-hard transparent kind.

Maybe today would be (would have been, since it's 10 am now...) okay and navigable on Kelso Ridge, but I wouldn't do it tomorrow because of the forecast.