Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby macgyver » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks for the pics! It'll help prep for Cas/Con tomorrow morning!
-MacG

Postby ajkagy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:28 am

woo hoo!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:51 am

SilverLynx wrote:Looks like Capitol will have to wait for next summer. My IBS has been acting up lately.

that sucks! i assumed with this weather you guys would have been up there. hope you feel better! i'm sure we'll meet on the mountain someday.

everyone else: let's do this! i'm heading up now. i'll be in a black shirt all weekend with a bright blue bandana.

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:11 am

forbins_mtn wrote:
SilverLynx wrote:Looks like Capitol will have to wait for next summer. My IBS has been acting up lately.

that sucks! i assumed with this weather you guys would have been up there. hope you feel better! i'm sure we'll meet on the mountain someday.

everyone else: let's do this! i'm heading up now. i'll be in a black shirt all weekend with a bright blue bandana.

In all honesty I don't have IBS, I'm just extremely frustrated at how this September has played out - nada. And I'd really like to do Pyramid next weekend but as of yet I do not have a climbing partner and I'm not okay with doing it by myself. This weekend I am busy but I would love to get over to the Elk Range next week or weekend for some fall foliage action... A Saturday Elk climb followed by a Sunday just romping and taking pictures in the Twin Lakes area (Mt. Elbert) would make me happy.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby forbins_mtn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:31 am

SilverLynx wrote:
forbins_mtn wrote:

In all honesty I don't have IBS, I'm just extremely frustrated at how this September has played out - nada. And I'd really like to do Pyramid next weekend but as of yet I do not have a climbing partner and I'm not okay with doing it by myself. This weekend I am busy but I would love to get over to the Elk Range next week or weekend for some fall foliage action... A Saturday Elk climb followed by a Sunday just romping and taking pictures in the Twin Lakes area (Mt. Elbert) would make me happy.

i thought that was a little personal for a forum post. ha! but hell - i just figured you were cool like that. Everyone poops! But anyway - I hope you get Pyramid. I'd be up there in a second but I'm booked the next two week. September 2013 didn't even come close to September 2012 - I remember three amazing weather weekends last year.

We can only hope October turns out to be beautiful!

Postby Hungry Jack » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Roll that puppy! And, assuming you bath regularly, try standing on the affected leg throughout your shower. The balance routine will strengthen the muscles that stabilize the femur and help relieve some of the strain on the knee.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby mdwoodland » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Hungry Jack wrote:

Roll that puppy! And, assuming you bath regularly, try standing on the affected leg throughout your shower. The balance routine will strengthen the muscles that stabilize the femur and help relieve some of the strain on the knee.

I never knew standing on one leg would cure Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Good to know, just in case.

I climbed Maroon yesterday. A little snow and ice in places, but nothing you can't avoid. Conditions are changing daily though.
“There are two kinds of climbers, those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

Postby Hungry Jack » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:17 pm

mdwoodland wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:

I never knew standing on one leg would cure Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Good to know, just in case.

LMAO.

Oops. I thought she meant Iliotibial Band Syndrome, the bane of many a weekend warrior.

But, the other IBS, that's no laughing matter. My freaking cat has IBS (diagnosed after a $1,000 procedure--shoot me please), and thankfully he is treated successfully with a regular antacid.

Please carry on without me.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Knockneed Man » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:40 am

I'd guess about 10 inches of snow above 12k feet in the Elks right now. Rained ALL night, most of yesterday and still coming down in Aspen. Snow line on Ajax is down to about 8,500ft.

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:54 am

I am curious to see what Pyramid and the Bells look like after this snowstorm.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby ajkagy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 am

frosty morning here in CB, snow line around 10k and it looks like the peaks got a decent amount of snow.

here is whetstone peak: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1268605_10152233557339418_200339393_o.jpg
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby PaliKona » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:14 am

wow, gorgeous!!

PreviousNext