Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Maroon Creek Road in Winter?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Maroon Creek Road in Winter?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:10 pm

Anyone have any guesses as to how well a mountain bike might do in winter on Maroon Creek Road? Would it be possible to make it from the winter closure to the end of the road at the Crater Lake TH? Mostly, I'm wondering how packed the road is and whether a MTB would float well enough on the surface. Any thoughts? Photos?

Also, any info on parking (and sleeping in the car) at or near the closure?

Thanks!

Re: Maroon Creek Road in Winter?

Postby Kiefer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:28 pm

That's EXACTLY what I'll be doing! If I don't have an AT set by then, I'll be switching my tires out for knobby's.
From the two times I was back there last winter, the road was a patchwork of bare asphalt, packed snow and ice.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby aaron479 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:16 pm

My wife and I hike up maroon creek road quite a bit in the winter. Tlazy 7 grooms the trail to maroon lake and I have seen surly bikers up there a hand full of times. Crater lake probably is wishful thinking.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Kiefer wrote:That's EXACTLY what I'll be doing! If I don't have an AT set by then, I'll be switching my tires out for knobby's.
From the two times I was back there last winter, the road was a patchwork of bare asphalt, packed snow and ice.

So maybe mount up the studded tires for the ice?

aaron479 wrote:My wife and I hike up maroon creek road quite a bit in the winter. Tlazy 7 grooms the trail to maroon lake and I have seen surly bikers up there a hand full of times. Crater lake probably is wishful thinking.

Excellent! So... how far do you think bikes can get? Far enough to be worth the utility as a winter 14er approach vehicle? Perhaps in early season, like late December or early January?

My thought is, if it's rideable to the end of the road in a low-snow early season, then the lake probably provides an additional 1/2 mile (with studs of course.)

Postby myfeetrock » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:43 pm

I've xc skied to maroon lake a few times. You'll never get your bike beyond that point. I'll post some pics of the road when I get home from work. The bike idea sounds fun though.

Postby Kiefer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Jim,
Let's join forces this winter on the Bells.
Estes Park is pretty slow in winter (as you can imagine), so getting time off for this should be easy.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby myfeetrock » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:00 pm

This was January 14th of 2011.
Attachments
xc2.jpg
xc2.jpg (105.7 KiB) Viewed 385 times
xc1.jpg
xc1.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Michael Colson

Postby WarDamnPanic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Anyone have current conditions of the Maroon Creek Road, looking at heading up there Saturday. Is it steep enough to ski down?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:34 pm

First like 4-5 miles not steep enough to ski, quite flat. Last 3 are steep enough. Groomed nightly (at least we saw them at night) as the above photos show. Summit lounger biked it with fat tires from wnter closure to Maroon Lake.

Super easy sailing.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:04 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Kiefer wrote:That's EXACTLY what I'll be doing! If I don't have an AT set by then, I'll be switching my tires out for knobby's.

So maybe mount up the studded tires for the ice?

aaron479 wrote:My wife and I hike up maroon creek road quite a bit in the winter. Tlazy 7 grooms the trail to maroon lake and I have seen surly bikers up there a hand full of times. Crater lake probably is wishful thinking.

Excellent! So... how far do you think bikes can get? Far enough to be worth the utility as a winter 14er approach vehicle? Perhaps in early season, like late December or early January?

My thought is, if it's rideable to the end of the road in a low-snow early season, then the lake probably provides an additional 1/2 mile (with studs of course.)

Keep in mind that surly bikes have tires between 4 and 5 inches wide. Not sure how a regular 2.2" mountain bike tire would fare, even if aired down.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander

I have yet to get me one of those, but I have some Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro tires for my 29er. Let us know how it goes; I've been curious about biking that road in winter myself.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:29 pm

The road isn't that steep, but you could certainly ski down it and probably keep good speed the whole way down to the beginning of the closure.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby WarDamnPanic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:35 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:The road isn't that steep, but you could certainly ski down it and probably keep good speed the whole way down to the beginning of the closure.

This is the news I wanted to hear :-D

Next