Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Is Gray's empty on full moon nights?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Is Gray's empty on full moon nights?

Postby phillinley » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:55 am

Thought I'd try Grays/Torreys at a quieter time of day. Was looking to take off from the trailhead around 10 pm on July 22. Even though it's a full moon, given it's a weekday and at night should the crowds be fairly non-existent summiting around 2 am?

Re: Is Gray's empty on full moon nights?

Postby Dezelrig » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:08 am

You will be the only one on the trail that night.

Everyone else has decided to climb Bierstadt that evening.

:wft:

Postby phillinley » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:20 am

Dezelrig wrote:
Everyone else has decided to climb Bierstadt that evening.

:wft:

No one on here does full moon hikes? Sorry if that was an odd question, I do them fairly often in other areas, just never out in Colorado other than Long's.

Postby SilverLynx » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:51 am

14ers are never empty. They are always full of thousands of tons of rocks.

Based on the fact that you're hiking in the middle of the night during a weekday, though, I don't think you would run into many other people - not the crowds you would see during the daytime.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby bigtuna » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Possible werewolves?

Postby Gareth » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:35 pm

I did Quandary under a full moon last fall. I started up at around 8:00 pm, and hit the summit at midnight (I was slow because I did the Decalibron earlier in the day). Near the summit, I did see a pair of headlamps moving up, but before long they turned around and I never saw them again. I met a couple of guys at the trailhead who told me that they were going to hike up the next morning. I don't know if they decided to try in the middle of the night or not. Other than that, I had the mountain to myself. Hiking up a high mountain in the middle of the night, under the light of the full moon, was a different experience, and one I'm glad that I've had.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby Steve Climber » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Werewolves are just normal, fun loving, down to earth folks that, unfortunately, turn into horrible creatures for 29-30 days a month.

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:02 pm

There are no werewolves in Colorado, just werecoyotes.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby phillinley » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Jim Davies wrote:There are no werewolves in Colorado, just werecoyotes.

I do have silver ice axes read to bat away the weremarmots.

Postby TravelingMatt » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:16 pm

phillinley wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:There are no werewolves in Colorado, just werecoyotes.

I do have silver ice axes read to bat away the weremarmots.

Aren't those just ordinary marmots?
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby jrs1965 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:25 am

phillinley wrote:Thought I'd try Grays/Torreys at a quieter time of day. Was looking to take off from the trailhead around 10 pm on July 22. Even though it's a full moon, given it's a weekday and at night should the crowds be fairly non-existent summiting around 2 am?

July 2012, we started the Grays/Torrey combo at 9 PM. It was a Friday, zero illumination, and we still ran into 4 other climbing groups. We moved pretty fast and were back at the TH by 3 AM. Full moon should be great vs. climbing it with no moon...