Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

20" wide sleeping pads??

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

20" wide sleeping pads??

Postby herdbull » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:42 am

So how the heck do you guys fit on a 20" wide sleeping pad? Last fall I purchased an REI AirRail pad which measures 23" wide and it sort of hugs your arms so they don't fall off the pad. I love the pad but it's on the big & heavy side.

Now I'm looking to upgrade to a smaller packing and lighter pad for South America but I can't seem to get comfy on a 20" wide one. My darn arms just want to fall to the side and lay on the floor. Anyone else have this problem?

The solution is a wider pad but those are somewhat harder to come by, are bigger and heavier. Almost to the point of where it's a wash as compared to the REI pad. The one I have my eye on is the Neo-Air Xlite large even though it's noisy. I'm hoping the bag muffles it a bit.

I've narrowed the search down to a pad that doesn't have tubes running lengthwise. I had a BAIAC and sold it due to the long tubes. Just couldn't get comfy on it. So I'm stuck with just a few options and the BA Q-core SL's only measure about 17" so they're out. ](*,) ](*,)

Any thoughts? Sleeping tips? Ideas?

Re: 20" wide sleeping pads??

Postby ebnhils » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:21 am

I'm with you,not a fan of the 20" pads. My current pad is a regular neoair, I'm not a big fan of it. Feels narrow for a 20" pad, not as warm as I like and it is noisy. I also have the exped synmat 7, I sleep better and warmer on the synmat put is 11oz's heavier, I prefer the tubes running long ways as they kinda cradle me more and help me stay on the narrow pad.

If you don't mind the neoair look into getting the large and cutting it down to the length you want it. I have been thinking of trying it myself, or maybe the synmat ul7. Here is one link, there are others if you search, also search YouTube for cut and reseal neoair ( couldn't get my iPad to copy the link ).

http://thenewnomads.com/?p=738

Eben
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying