Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CFI Trail Building

Items that do not fit the categories above.

CFI Trail Building

Postby BKS » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Today there was a small group (2) that helped CFI staff with trail maintence on the standard route of Quandary. I had no idea the amount of time and work that goes into making these sustainable trails that so many of us enjoy... and take for granted. The four of us spent all day making about 25 ft of retaining wall and 3 or 4 steps on a switchback just above treeline. It is extremely hard work... but the only way to prevent our hills from degenerating into an eroded ugly mess given the amount of traffic that they carry.

It was a throughly enjoyable day. Colorado Fourteeners Intiative is a wonderful organization doing amazing work with great people. I came away from the experience resolving to pay closer attention to hiking practices that minimize erosion and to try to volunteer a day in trail building for every 10 that I spend a year hiking.

Thanks for the work that many do on this site to promote the work of CFI.

Re: CFI Trail Building

Postby altidude » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:34 pm

I know that Aaron aka "Smitty" was up there today/this weekend to assist the trail reconstruction. He chose to do work instead of having fun in South Colony Lakes, which is FAR OUT!

Thank you for improving our playgrounds! I really appreciate the effort, and can see that it takes a lot of work to make these trails great! =D>
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe maƱana

Postby SteveBonowski » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:41 am

These are good thoughts. I've observed that there aren't many folks who hang around this site who get out for stewardship. Yeah, giving up a rare summer weekend day or two, when one might rather be climbing, is tough. But these trails don't maintain themselves and budgets for the federal agencies continue to tighten (after 11 straight years, I won't be leading a CMC weekend with the BLM in Moffat County this year due to sequester budget cuts).

CFI has a full program for the summer. Check out other entities like Wilderness Restoration Volunteers, the Colorado Trail Foundation, CMC-State programs. If you have just a day, consider the CMC-Denver Group's day hike maintenance program. If you live up in the Glenwood/Carbondale area, check out Roaring Fork Outdoor Volunteers. And there is always the good old standby called VOC.

The work can be hard, but immensely rewarding.

p.s. CFI/CMC work on North Maroon went very well last weekend. The restoration work on the old N. Maroon climbers' trail continues through the summer.

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:18 am

Thanks to BKS and Smitty for getting out there and improving the trail. As Steve says, it's not easy to give up your weekend days for this, but it is a good feeling to help out, and it makes you appreciate those stone steps - every one took somebody an hour or more to install.

Friends of the Peak runs trail projects almost every week throughout the summer in the Pikes Peak neighborhood. If you want to move rocks above timberline, consider the Elk Park Knoll project on July 27th or the Devils Playground cairn-building party on August 24th. http://www.fotp.com/7-events/projects
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright