Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Flying with Bear Spray

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Flying with Bear Spray

Postby TheOtherIndian » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:27 pm

steelfrog wrote:Actually, transporting bear spray interstate violates federal law. Buy it there. Or, better yet, go without. We just came back from 11 days in grand Teton, Yellowstone and glacier and while we saw 2 griz, certainly had no need of it

I'm not well versed with legalities, but when the government says its legal to get bear spray into US across international borders, I find it hard to believe it would be illegal across state borders!!

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/878/~/want-to-bring-bear-spray-into-the-u.s.

But if you are talking about *pepper sprays*, then they are illegal in some states, but bear spray isnt.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby steelfrog » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Trust me, I was surprised to learn this my own self. Any chemical weapon interstate transport is illegal; $2,000 fine per

I first found put when I bought some switchblades from Utah. Illegal in Texas (Texas!? Are you freaking kidding me?! Not just illegal to walk around with, illegal to even possess, along with machine guns, silencers, explosives and--yes--chemical weapons). I ran into the federal law about switchblades and chemical weapons and such

Now, is the law broken all the time? Of course. But one should be aware

I actually took a large beat spray on a airplane carry on once!

Postby paul109876 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Like I mentioned, TSA says it's a no no, I found a place in Jackson that sells it for 40$ a canister.
I'll just spend the money there, just to be safe, TSA and Bear wise.

I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Plus if will make the wife feel a little more at ease it's worth 10x's what I'll pay.
You'll understand when you've been married 30+ years. Happy wife, happy life.

Especially since I can out run her.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby Jtjohnso24 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Not directly on point to your situation, but we flew from Denver to Calgary last year for a bike tour. I declared the bear spray at customs, and the Canadian authorities searched a packed bike box full of gear to make sure it wasn't human mace. Apparently people have tried to use regular mace on bears and that didn't go very well. They just wanted to make sure we had actual bear mace. We were then on our way.

Also, I felt more comfortable with an air horn as a previous poster mentioned. You are much more likely to use the horn from a reasonable distance and scare them off. If not, you'll have to wait until they are charging and much closer in order to use the spray. Just my 2 cents.

Postby siop » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:12 am

I routinely fly back and forth to Alaska. One of the guys I travel with quite a bit has flown with his bear spray several times, I prefer to leave an extra canister in my storage shed up there. On one trip his can was confiscated by TSA. He received a letter from them about a week later warning him that if he was caught doing it again he would face severe penalties, but it didn't say what those penalties would be.
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson

Postby katmaibear » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:12 am

Another option to consider is a few marine flares. We used these instead of pepper spray when I guided photographers and backpackers on the Katmai coastline. If you get a good one from a marine store they pop with a load noise, smoke a bunch, and are a underwater welding torch for 1-2 minutes. Wind did not cause the issues that it does with pepper spray and it's an emergency flare/fire starter as well. I also figure that if I got knocked down by a bear I could still pull it out and use as I made a custom holster for it. There was a company overseas that marketed a "bear flare", but it was just a high end marine flare relabeled. Classically though I thought of the idea a few years before my Alaska experience so I took a few road flares with me on a Yellowstone trip. On the way back at a campsite I tried to light the road flares and they were expired and not worth a damn. Anyway the marine flares worked great the two times I had to use it. Once with an ornery alpha female who had approached within 8 feet of a group I was leading. No amount of yelling or large group movements would deter the bear. The flare certainly did though. As we used to say around the camp, If a client gets hurt, the guide better be bloody"!

cheers....steve

Postby paul109876 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:27 am

Here's a little update and maybe an idea someone else could use.
I have 2 cans of bear spray I was going to take but can't fly with them. And instead of buying 2 new cans in Jackson just to have to give them up before I fly home I'm going to do the following.

There is a UPS store on my way to work. I'm going to ship them (ground) to the UPS store in Jackson and the package will have a hold on it for me so I can pick it up when I get there.
The cost is about 1/4 of buying 2 new cans.

My last day in Cody Wyoming, I'll ship them back to my home store so I will have them for another trip to which I will be driving.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby nyker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:11 pm

paul109876 wrote:has anyone flown with bear spray in their checked baggage? We are heading to the Tetons and Yellowstone next month.
Or do you know if you can rent bear spray canisters at any of the local sporting good spots their in Jackson or Cody Wyoming.

Thanks

Scroll down on the below link for the details.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Postby steelfrog » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:44 pm

If I recall, interstate transport of mace under federal law is $2000 per violation

Postby oldschoolczar » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:15 pm

I really like the air horn idea. Would that scare off a charging, pissed bear? I imagine it would since it'll make a human jump in close range.. but I have no idea. Much cheaper for sure. Seems more versatile too (e.g. you could use it from inside your tent if your leg was getting chewed on). Or from 50 yds away...

Previous