Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Everest book

Items that do not fit the categories above.

New Everest book

Postby Rarefied » Sun May 26, 2013 8:55 am

Yesterday's WSJ had a brief mention of a new book on Everest entitled, "The Conquest of Everest". It is described as a chronicle of the Hillary/Norgay achievement by Hillary's good friend, George Lowe, who also was on the expedition. It was just released to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the climb and is suppose to contain never-before-seen photographs from Lowe's personal archives. (Lowe passed away in March.) Here's a link to it on Amazon's site (no reviews at this time though):

http://www.amazon.com/Conquest-Everest-Original-Photographs-Legendary/dp/0500544239/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369579109&sr=1-1

It sounds interesting and I thought others might like to learn of it.

R

Re: New Everest book

Postby pw » Sun May 26, 2013 10:21 pm

This is not exactly on the same topic, but didn't want to start another thread, an article about Mt. Everest from National Geographic. Could not sound less appealing to me.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/06/125-everest-maxed-out/jenkins-text

Trudging nose to butt up the ropes that had been fixed to the steep slope, Panuru and I were wedged between strangers above us and below us. The day before, at Camp III, our team had been part of a small group. But when we woke up this morning, we were stunned to see an endless line of climbers passing near our tents.

Now, bumper to bumper at 27,000 feet, we were forced to move at exactly the same speed as everyone else, regardless of strength or ability. In the swirling darkness before midnight, I gazed up at the string of lights, climbers’ headlamps, rising into the black sky. Above me were more than a hundred slow-moving climbers. In one rocky section at least 20 people were attached to a single ratty rope anchored by a single badly bent picket pounded into the ice. If the picket popped, the rope or carabiner would instantly snap from the weight of two dozen falling climbers, and they would all cartwheel down the face to their death.