Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunlight Summit Block Alternative?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Sunlight Summit Block Alternative?

Postby Vincopotamus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 pm

d_baker wrote:
Papillon wrote:
d_baker wrote:I climbed the block that he ran up. Roach calls it low class 5 slab. Probably is.

So does that make you some kind of a bad ass?

What a dumb question.
You should have stolen and posted that Dick waving picture that is in another thread for your post. Papi, you've got a lot to learn, son. ;)

+1. Wasted opportunity.

Might I suggest this....
The only time I lower the bar is après

Postby globreal » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:57 pm

SilverLynx wrote:
MonGoose wrote:The real challenge is the exposure - if you slip off, you're dead.

Do you (or does anyone) have a picture of what the exposure looks like from the summit block?

Yes.

I suggest reading the TR. But if you don't have the time, go to image 22.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8480&parmuser=globreal&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

At least read the commentary around image 22 to get an idea.
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
~Psalm 46:1

Postby Craig Cook » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:13 pm

This video gives a pretty good view of the exposure on the summit block.

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby PaliKona » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:58 am

Has anyone actually overshot it and fallen?

Postby bking14ers » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:14 pm

It would be hard to over-shoot the summit block, because you have to crawl up on to it. I'm guessing it's about 4ft higher then the block before it if I remember correctly. Coming off it is the tricky part. It's a blind step down backwards, then the "leap of faith jump"

Postby MonGoose » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 pm

PaliKona wrote:Has anyone actually overshot it and fallen?

I don't think so. It's similar to the Knife Edge in that everyone knows about the feature and people are extremely cautious.

Postby rijaca » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 pm

MonGoose wrote:

I don't think so. It's similar to the Knife Edge in that everyone knows about the feature and people are extremely cautious.

Or they get to the benchmark (and register) and call it good. :roll:
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby DeTour » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:06 am

Seems to me the big risk of overshooting is coming down, from the smaller first block below the summit, to the larger second block. People rarely capture that exposure in photos (including my group). You have to do some type of lunge move to get your weight across the gap, and the landing pad on that lower boulder isn't real user-friendly by 14er standards. Overshooting that block would probably be your last mistake in the mountains. The photo below doesn't show what it looks like coming down, but gives you an idea of the consequences of overshooting.

http://www.14ers.com/images/trips/sunl/39_2013020106004910.jpg

Check out a TR by globreal on this site for a video of jumping the gap (in the comments section). I didn't find it necessary to jump - a long step reaches across if you're tall enough, but you still have to thrust your weight across.

The day we were there, Traveling Matt smeared down the slab the OP referred to, and made it look like a piece of cake. Some training/practice in smearing technique makes all the difference in that spot.

And finally, ListsofJohn.com has an attempt to inventory 14er climbing deaths if you want to search that for any deaths on Sunlight's summit. MonGoose is probably right in that the most notorious spots aren't generally where the bad stuff happens.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 am

DeTour wrote:The day we were there, Traveling Matt smeared down the slab the OP referred to, and made it look like a piece of cake. Some training/practice in smearing technique makes all the difference in that spot.

Actually, I was trying to come down in the hardest way I was comfortable with! And it couldn't have been more than two, maybe 2½ feet of stemming, with maybe a 4-foot drop.

Much of the difficulty depends on your height and arm reach. Above about 5'8" or so it's really just mild scrambling with some exposure. (This height, of course, is around the dividing line between average women and men.) If you're taller than 6'2" it's more like Class 2+.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby semitrueskerm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:38 pm

SilverLynx wrote:
MonGoose wrote:I watched this video last summer before visiting Chicago Basin. Upon arriving at the summit block, I still felt it was easier to hop along the standard way around the right. Leading up to the trip, I spent a lot of time obsessing over the summit block but upon reaching the summit, I found it to be much easier than I anticipated. If you're tall (I'm 6' 1"), it's really not even a hop, as you can sit on your butt and reach the next block. The real challenge is the exposure - if you slip off, you're dead.

Do you (or does anyone) have a picture of what the exposure looks like from the summit block? I've heard people describe it but never seen it! All the pictures I have seen are from the non-exposed side.

Here's my vid.

https://picasaweb.google.com/semitrueskerm/10821TheEolusGroupVIDEO#5508704651850424130

--jim

Previous