Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sat Climb?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Sat Climb?

Postby Dave B » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:54 pm

No worries and sorry, in a bit of a foul mood today.

Hope you guys have a good climb.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks man. Should be a straight forward route and gorgeous weather. I can't wait to breathe the fresh air

Postby rijaca » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Just a friendly reminder, with the new snow Loveland has received in the past 24 hrs (~10") it would probably be best to avoid the slopes underneath Kelso Mountain (where the standard G/T trail goes).

Have fun, be safe.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:40 pm

have any beta on bypassing Kelso altogether? Go northwest of it and meet up on the Torrey's/Kelso saddle, then shoot up the ridge?

Postby rijaca » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:48 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:have any beta on bypassing Kelso altogether? Go northwest of it and meet up on the Torrey's/Kelso saddle, then shoot up the ridge?

Probable best to avoid the area I marked in black, and follow the route I marked in red. You can still access the saddle between Kelso/Torreys in order to climb the Kelso ridge.

RGray_Topo124567.jpg
RGray_Topo124567.jpg (242.9 KiB) Viewed 540 times
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Oh, definitely. I've just gotten two pm's about cutting around.

Postby Steve Climber » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:40 am

Awesome climb yesterday gentlemen. Solid group of guys with excellent team work.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby forbins_mtn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:40 am

That was a great day! Remember everyone to PM me your email address and I'll give you the link to the photos I took.

Postby Stereo311 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:15 am

Crazy scary hike! Thanks everyone for helping me out on the climb/ couldn't have made it without all of your help. And yes, I learned my lesson about hiking in shorts. (I learned that they rule and that hiking pants are for suckers!!!) If anyone wants a copy of my pictures, I can email them directly to you or I can email you a link Walmart photos. If I email them directly to you, they will come over in multiple emails. With the Walmart link, you can view the pictures and order any that you want. My email address is: stereo311@aol.com. Make sure you put Kelso Ridge as the subject.

Postby glacierfox » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Shorts....

shorts_small.JPG
shorts_small.JPG (121.41 KiB) Viewed 313 times

No shorts...

no shorts_small.JPG
no shorts_small.JPG (125.92 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Postby Steve Climber » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Stereo311 wrote:Crazy scary hike! Thanks everyone for helping me out on the climb/ couldn't have made it without all of your help. And yes, I learned my lesson about hiking in shorts. (I learned that they rule and that hiking pants are for suckers!!!) If anyone wants a copy of my pictures, I can email them directly to you or I can email you a link Walmart photos. If I email them directly to you, they will come over in multiple emails. With the Walmart link, you can view the pictures and order any that you want. My email address is: stereo311@aol.com. Make sure you put Kelso Ridge as the subject.

Obviously shorts are superior...esp for posthole trench building! I learned my lesson that a large, heavy backpack with an ice axe strapped to it is quite easy to haul up and over a rocky outcropping with paracord (after said paracord is launched via a small rock directly at the face of the last climber on route).

TEAM PETE RULES!!!!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby forbins_mtn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Whatever happened to Pete? Did we leave him on the mountain? :shock:

All in all, that was fun and I haven't laughed that much on a hike in a while

Previous