Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support Thank you!

Other ways to help...

New to the forum and 14ers!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: New to the forum and 14ers!

Postby ak47 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:42 am

Advice: Climb Blanca's south ridge from huerfano th, such a fun off-trail route with amazing scenery!

Re: New to the forum and 14ers!

Postby zdero1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:55 pm

I climbed La Plata my first year in Colorado and it was a great step up from Quandary and Sherman. I climbed the non-standard route up the SW ridge. It's about 3,400' gain and only 7 miles round trip, which is as short and sweet as you'll get in the Sawatch Range as the majority of the routes are a slogfest. You would need a 4wd to get fairly close to the TH but they do have some spots to pitch a tent at the TH if you wanna make a two-day trip out of it.

The views are spectacular, particularly when you reach the top of a moderately steep slope. You see Huron and the 3 Apostles in all their glory. Speaking of which, Huron Peak is a wonderful climb and in my opinion has some of the best views in the Sawatch Range if not the best of all the 31 I've done so far.

I've been a couch potato for most of my life and only after moving to Colorado and getting to the mountains have I started to become active. It's a life-changing journey and I'm so excited for you to continue yours.