Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Advice on winter pants

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Advice on winter pants

Postby wildone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Here's what I use:

Winter:
Mammut Castor softshell pants
Mammut powerstretch pants for midlayer
Mountain hardwear boxers for base

3-season:
Mammut Champ Softshell pants
Patagonia Capilene 1

Summer (peaks, not simple hiking-for hiking I just go with North Face convertable or horizon pants/shorts):
Mammut Courmayer Softshell pants

I usually also bring a pair of Marmot Precip full-zip pants (at least in summer/3-season) just in case. They don't weigh much or take up too much space and mine are sized to fit over both my Courmayer and Champ pants without being bulky. The Castors actually have a membrane (not Goretex), so unless it is crazy windy, I am o.k. as long as my upper body is warm and has a hard shell. If I am out in the winter and it is supposed to be really, really windy (or I'm out overnight), I do have a pair of North Face GTX proshell bibs that I will wear instead of my Castors.

I have really had good luck with Mammut's line of softshell pants. The Castors have thigh zips for venting. They are all great quality, fit and durability.

I do also like Patagonia's guide line. I have the Simple Guide and Alpine Guide pants. I would like to get the Backcountry Guide pants but I don't like the updated version they came out with this year.

Postby my5sons » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks for all of the great input!! Didn't see MANY comments on GOLIGHT, do they get a bad rap or just not that good long term?
On the Patagonia Guides mentioned was the guide, alpine, and back country either one is good? No disrespect to the others that posted I just want to get a general idea from other experience and go with that. Did I say I'm short anyone know if these run long can they be hemmed if needed?
I'm thinking Bill should put a warning for all of those looking at this site for the first time. It should read: Starting this hobby is Dangerous, Addicting, and Expensive. Not complaining at all I just have a uncontrollable urge to browse sierra trading and all the other sites drooling over what I would like to purchase TODAY, But can't! Can anyone tell me if that subsides at some point? :shock:

Postby Bean » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 pm

my5sons wrote:I just have a uncontrollable urge to browse sierra trading and all the other sites drooling over what I would like to purchase TODAY, But can't! Can anyone tell me if that subsides at some point? :shock:

It only gets worse.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:59 pm

my5sons wrote:I have an uncontrollable urge drooling over what I would like to purchase TODAY, But can't! Can anyone tell me if that subsides at some point? :shock:

Bean wrote:It only gets worse.

Bean is correct.

Postby Dex » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:49 pm

my5sons wrote: But can't! Can anyone tell me if that subsides at some point? :shock:

No ... because you want to upgrade! Recently I got

SOL Escape Bivy to replace my SOL 2 person blanket
windscreen for my stove
energy bars
made a freeze dry food cozy
freeze dried food
water bladder
flashlight

I'm sure I forgot a few things ... and I wont be in Co. until March.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby RyGuy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
my5sons wrote:I have an uncontrollable urge drooling over what I would like to purchase TODAY, But can't! Can anyone tell me if that subsides at some point? :shock:

Bean wrote:It only gets worse.

Bean is correct.

Yeah. It never ends. Heck, I think I spent 5K on gear alone last year. You'll find that you will get a complete set of gear...then you will start getting variations of that same gear. So suddenly you will have 2-3 backpacks, different boots, depending on the climb you are doing. As you get more stuff, a dedicated gear room then becomes essential. There is a thread going right now about people's gear rooms...take a look:
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=38989&p=472985#p472985

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby ElFuegoDelaMuerte » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 pm

dsunwall wrote:
Bean wrote:Isn't everything at GoLite "50% off" all the time?

that is true.

Even cheaper if you go to the outlets. I have a pair of the Maroon pants. They're awesome. For full blown water/wind-proof they move really well, although I rarely wear them given that its seldom been cold in the Colorado winter lately... Maybe next year. Plus, I got them from the Castle Rock outlet for $99.

But shopping at the outlets won't support this site... Sorry Bill.

Postby dsunwall » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:24 pm

[quote="ElFuegoDelaMuerte"
Even cheaper if you go to the outlets. I have a pair of the Maroon pants. They're awesome. For full blown water/wind-proof they move really well, although I rarely wear them given that its seldom been cold in the Colorado winter lately... Maybe next year. Plus, I got them from the Castle Rock outlet for $99. [/quote]

I live about a mile from the CR outlet, that big LED sign sucks me in when a golite add shows up. I also have the Windriver pants, extra thick softshell basically, good for cold weather.
http://www.golite.com/Ms-Wind-River-Softshell-Pant-P46880.aspx

So why always 50% off, why not just post the actual price? known to work well for sales I suppose, kinda like the .99 deal.

Postby Bean » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:30 pm

dsunwall wrote:So why always 50% off, why not just post the actual price? known to work well for sales I suppose, kinda like the .99 deal.

It creates a sense of urgency.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby vdavidoff » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:15 am

I just bought these this season and have only used them 4 or 5 times, but so far I really like them. North Face Kannon.

http://www.rei.com/product/836736/the-north-face-kannon-insulated-pants-mens

This is my first venture into insulated winter pants so maybe there are reasons obvious to others why these pants are inferior, but so far they've treated me well. Tuesday I was up on Quandary in 40+mph winds with wind chill well below zero, and I never once got uncomfortable in the regions covered by the pants (my hands and face were a different story). I didn't even have my long base layer on, just my icebreaker boxer briefs. Legs never got too hot, and never got even the slightest bit cold, even directly in the wind.

They also seem like they're going to be very durable, and they are, imo, lightweight, at least for day hikes. They are pretty thick though compared to something like the super thin shells you can get from people like Arc'teryx. As far as the brand choice, I have been buying North Face stuff for a few years now and have been really happy with it, so I stuck with them when going for insulated pants. I know some people don't like North Face, but I guess it's a personal decision. I am not super hard on my gear; maybe that's part of it. Not sure.

If I had to find something to complain about it'd be that on the top pockets, there's a little flap of fabric that hangs down over the zippers, and it's easy to snag on this when zipping them back up. I don't think it'll be possible to damage the pants this way, but it can be a little bit of a hassle. Though, I don't go into the pockets much. I am not entirely sure why they made that design decision. The pocket on the lower right leg is a standard waterproof zipper without the flap, like you'll find all over Arc'teryx stuff.

As far as sizing, I usually wear a medium pant, even in other North Face gear, but for these I had to go small. They do not make "in-between" sizes for this pant.

Just something else to consider.

Andy

Postby ceejay » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:40 pm

my5sons wrote:Thanks for all of the great input!! Didn't see MANY comments on GOLIGHT, do they get a bad rap or just not that good long term?
On the Patagonia Guides mentioned was the guide, alpine, and back country either one is good? No disrespect to the others that posted I just want to get a general idea from other experience and go with that. Did I say I'm short anyone know if these run long can they be hemmed if needed?
I'm thinking Bill should put a warning for all of those looking at this site for the first time. It should read: Starting this hobby is Dangerous, Addicting, and Expensive. Not complaining at all I just have a uncontrollable urge to browse sierra trading and all the other sites drooling over what I would like to purchase TODAY, But can't! Can anyone tell me if that subsides at some point? :shock:

I just received a a pair of the back country guide pants. I'm returning them. The sizing is a little big and the 1/2 elastic built in belt system is terrible. Hard to use and ineffective in tightening the waist. Also, the thigh pocket would be much more useful if it was bigger, to fit gloves etc. Finally, I don't get the point of the mini gaiters. They just seem to be in the way. For climbing, I'd rather use my own gaiters.

If they had belt loops or a full built in belt and one, or better yet two, decent sized thigh pockets, they would be great pants. That is how they used to make them before they "improved" them. I'm glad I have a pair of the older ones.

Previous