Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are your Summer 14er goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are your Summer 14er goals?

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:36 pm

I might do Mount Shavano, but I think that's it.

Postby flatlander51 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Being from FL, I only get out to Colorado for 2 weeks at the end of Aug. my wife and I visit 2 friends in Col Spgs and we climb together. Only have climbed Uncompahgre. Would like to do Huron and maybe Decalibron this year.

Postby big_red_pride » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:43 pm

I remember a thread similar to this last summer and I commented I was going to finish the 14ers. Never got close to that, in fact only got out a couple of times last summer. This summer I'm going to be more focused and even took 2 weeks off to dedicate to hiking. So here are my goals, may not hit them all, but I will try my best.

June 22-30
Primary goals: Wilson Group, Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn.
Secondary goals: Redcloud/Sunshine, Handies, San Luis, maybe repeat Sneffels

Other June peaks, 13ers I haven't done, maybe repeat a 14er or two

July: Work on the remainder of my peaks I have yet to finish in the Sangre's
Crestone Peak, Little Bear, Ellingwood Point, Challenger/Kit Carson, Culebra

August: Work on the Elks, want to get them all knocked out if possible. I'm taking a week off here too, the 17th-25th. I also plan on taking my girlfriend up her first 14er.

September: Depending on where I'm at with my goals I may try and hit up the Chicago Basin 14ers and possibly finish off the 14ers in the month of September.

Good luck to all and I hope everyone can meet their goals!

Postby djkest » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:27 pm

I am resurrecting this thread to see how it's going with people who posted in here previously. 3/9 done for us.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby smoove » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:35 pm

Well the only 14er I've done this summer so far is a quick repeat of Bierstadt as a training hike on Saturday. Hoping to do the 14er in Washington this week (if weather permits).

I'd like to finish the Elks or at least one or two of the remaining three this summer. Plan to do the Chicago Basin 14ers near the end of August. The Crestones would also be cool. I'll try the Pikes Peak Ascent for the first time this year. Not a whole lot set in stone yet.

Postby justiner » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:43 pm

djkest wrote:I am resurrecting this thread to see how it's going with people who posted in here previously. 3/9 done for us.

justiner wrote:Ride my bicycle to a few more 14ers: Close out the Front Range w/Longs (ridden to it and started, just didn't summit).

And figure out some of the logistics of more spicier 14ers with an approach by bike: Elks, Chicago Basin, etc. The challenge is to go UL enough to make it realistic, yet schlep enough gear to do three, disparate activities (cycling, hiking/scrambling, camping) safely. Lots of conditioning, as well.

Take it from there.

Closed out the Front Range with a successful trip to Longs, and also rode my bike to Pikes, Shavano, Evans (4x), Bierstadt, Grays/Torreys, Quandary, Delcabron and just shy of Holy Cross - via the Colorado Trail - made it to Breck before the day ended and Copper Village by 10:00am on Day #2, but I was running out of time to meet up for Holy Cross. Still *did* Holy Cross, mind. Most of these on something other than the standard route,

Holy Cross!
1013952_10151509229455849_1952311538_n.jpg
1013952_10151509229455849_1952311538_n.jpg (145.08 KiB) Viewed 362 times

If the forest fires chill out, I'll probably shift my focus to the Colorado Trail Race (MTB), which is on July 21st. If the fire is still closing the Colorado Trail then, I may wait a few more weeks and do my own project on that CO Trail - perhaps ride it from Denver to Durango, and quickly summit all the 14ers "along" the way.

My UL racing sleep system is down to the Black Diamond Twilight Bivy (10.7 oz) and
a Sea To Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme Sleeping Bag Liner (14 oz) and EVERY PIECE OF CLOTHING I'VE BROUGHT. Still trying to get a few more pounds off the bike. Kinda running out of things not to bring.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:48 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Ditto. Ski whatever 14er is "in", till the snow goes out. Maybe some 13er ski tours too. Also help some friends finish the 14er list as well.

Technically "spring" but... Skied 19 14ers, 11 13ers and 4 other peaks \:D/
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby djkest » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:28 pm

djkest wrote:My goal this year is to finish the 14ers (58) along with my Climbing Partner Scott, finishing on Capital Peak with my parents and some friends in the basin down below.

In the process we hope to do the Wilson group in 1 trip, 3rd of the 4 great traverses. Possibly Pyramid and Snowmass in 1 trip, Maybe Huron and Antero in the same day.

Snowmass and Pyramid in 1 trip- fail (time constraints)
Huron and Antero on the same day- fail (due to weather, not attempted)

Number one goal I guess this year is to be safe.

So far so good.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby scholbiwan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Already done:
Pikes Peak
Century ride with the Copper Triangle (okay, not a 14er)
Mt. Belford
Grays & Torreys

Coming Up:
4 Pass Loop (again, not a 14er)
Longs Peak
Backpacking in the Tetons (again, not a 14er)
Mt. Rainier
Mt. Hood (again, not a 14er)
Mt. Shasta
Getting married (again, not a 14er, but it requires much more commitment than any route I've done so far)

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:52 pm

scholbiwan wrote:Getting married (again, not a 14er, but it requires much more commitment than any route I've done so far)

But like 14ers, involves climbing on top of things with large protuberances and great scenery, no?
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Stephen Butler » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Leaving on Friday. If the weather cooperates:
Handies
Redcloud
Sunshine
Uncompahgre
Wetterhorn
San Luis
Shavano
Tabeguache

Long week

Postby ChrisinAZ » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm

La Plata Ellingwood Ridge
Snowmass S Ridge and N Snowmass
Holy Cross by Halo Ridge

That's about it...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

PreviousNext