Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bhutan Trekking

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Bhutan Trekking

Postby desertdog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:42 am

This subject is not climbing per say, but there is a lot adventure experience on this site, and I am hoping for some feedback and ideas on Bhutan trekking. I am thinking about a trek this year. Any feedback on guide services or trips you've done? I believe you can't solo into Bhutan and must hire a guide service, correct?

Also, I am looking for a partner or two for the trip, if you have any interest in talking about this PM me.

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Re: Bhutan Trekking

Postby Scott P » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:04 am

I believe you can't solo into Bhutan and must hire a guide service, correct?

(Edited to reflect new price changes)

This is basically correct and trekking there is a minimum of $250 a day, plus other expenses. Plan on budgeting somewhere in the range of $350-$400 per day.

Sometimes exceptions are made to not using a guide service, such as on highly technical climbs, but permission is really expensive for technical climbs.

Have a great trip. I've heard that it's beautiful.
Last edited by Scott P on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby jblyth » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:31 am

We looked into Bhutan, but ultimately decided not to go because of the insane costs. Scott is right, it is a minimum of $200 per day and you are required to have a guide, and even more if you go in high season and there is a solo traveler surcharge! On a positive note, the visa is cheap and they will give you a cost break if you stay for several weeks.

It’s especially crazy considering we traveled comfortably in Nepal for around $25 per day. But, you have to respect that Bhutan doesn’t want to be another stop on the “banana pancake trail” and have the same social and environmental issues that tourism brought to other parts of the Subcontinent/SE Asia.

I hope to get there someday and I’ve heard it’s incredible, but it will most likely be when I’m much older and have 3k to drop on a 10 day vacation.

Have fun if you go and please post a TR!

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/bhutan/practical-information/money-costs
Last edited by jblyth on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jsdratm » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:06 am

REI has a trip to Bhutan, but it is pretty expensive

Postby Dex » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:39 pm

jblyth wrote:We looked into Bhutan, but ultimately decided not to go because of the insane costs. Scott is right, it is a minimum of $200 per day and you are required to have a guide, and even more if you go in high season and there is a solo traveler surcharge! On a positive note, the visa is cheap and they will give you a cost break if you stay for several weeks.

It’s especially crazy considering we traveled comfortably in Nepal for around $25 per day. But, you have to respect that Bhutan doesn’t want to be another stop on the “banana pancake trail” and have the same social and environmental issues that tourism brought to other parts of the Subcontinent/SE Asia.

I hope to get there someday and I’ve heard it’s incredible, but it will most likely be when I’m much older and have 3k to drop on a 10 day vacation.

Have fun if you go and please post a TR!

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/bhutan/practical-information/money-costs

Bhutan has decided to highly regulate its tourist trade in an attempt to avoid the negative aspects of tourism that have occurred in other countries.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Scott P » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:34 pm

To edit my original post, the fees actually went up by $50 a day as of January 1 2013. Sorry about the error on my post.

Trekking there is now a minimum of $250 a day, plus other expenses. Plan on budgeting somewhere in the range of $350-$400 per day, plus your airfare, etc (around $1000 RT out of Bankok) which would work out to be somewhere in the range of $9500-$11,000 including all airfare for a three week trip. Personally, I wouldn't plan any trip to the Himalaya (I've been twice) with at least 3 weeks and preferably 4 or more available.

I was just in Kathmandu last week and since they do trips to Bhutan from there and since it's a major travel hub, it might be worth checking into some of the companies there as well.

Postby desertdog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Scott P wrote:To edit my original post, the fees actually went up by $50 a day as of January 1 2013. Sorry about the error on my post.

Trekking there is now a minimum of $250 a day, plus other expenses. Plan on budgeting somewhere in the range of $350-$400 per day, plus your airfare, etc (around $1000 RT out of Bankok) which would work out to be somewhere in the range of $9500-$11,000 including all airfare for a three week trip. Personally, I wouldn't plan any trip to the Himalaya (I've been twice) with at least 3 weeks and preferably 4 or more available.

I was just in Kathmandu last week and since they do trips to Bhutan from there and since it's a major travel hub, it might be worth checking into some of the companies there as well.

Thanks for the information Scott!!!

Postby Scott P » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:56 pm

REI was mentioned and it looks like REI's two week trip (usually REI trips are expensive, but in Bhutan most companies are fairly equal) is $4899+995 internal airfare = $5894 or at least $6,000 with tips and a few expenses. Plus airfare (~$1200), but two weeks is just way too short IMHO for a trip to the Himalaya.