Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snow/Winter Boot or Mountaineer boot?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Snow/Winter Boot or Mountaineer boot?

Postby HuskyRunner » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:58 am

Got an older pair of Garmont Pinnacle size 10 if anybody out there wants a crampon compatible boot for cheap. Got them from a high end store that was closing (last pair) and thought 10's would work for me, too small. They have some miles but still in good condition, was going to donate them, still might. Six pack of craft beer and you have to drive to Evergreen.

Here's a older review of the boots, same model: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/product-reviews/garmont-pinnacle-first-look/1260.html

pics of my boots (a few other boots as well): https://secure.flickr.com/photos/thecrankymonkey/
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:14 pm

I hiked Avalanche Gulch in late June in Vasque Sundowners and microspikes, probably the more appropriate footwear for that mountain/season/route. There is not any climbing on the route so hiking boots are the appropriate choice.

G

Postby weekendroad » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:02 pm

herdbull wrote:I picked up a pair of Evo's maybe 2 months ago now and really like them...I also picked up some BD Sabres and this combination is rock solid. Boots & pons feel as if they are one.

Did you purchase the Pro or Clip version of the BD Sabretooth crampons?

Postby jverrant1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:17 am

The La Sportiva Baruntse are incredible boots. I've had Scarpa Invernos, La Sportiva Nepal Evo's, and now the Baruntse. Although I've used them one day at the IMG base camp at the base of Rainier, nothing can compare to their comfort. They can be used on 14ers all the way up to the high altitude stuff. I just so happen to be selling my basically brand new pair for cheap as a recent move to Chicago has put a damper on my vertical aspirations.

Postby herdbull » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:22 pm

I ended up finding the clips for like $125 shipped to my door. I thought they'd work with another pair of boots I had so they would be more versatile. They do work but not the greatest with that other pair.

They work super with the Evo's and performed flawlessly on Orizaba. My feet were never even a concern on that climb with temps in the mid teens.

Previous