Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Juicer Recommendations

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Juicer Recommendations

Postby scalba123 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:46 am

I'm thinking about getting a juicer with my extra Christmas/Birthday money? Any recommendations on the best one to get? What fruits and vegetables do you mix together to create a super tasty (and healthy) concoction? Thanks for the input!

Re: Juicer Recommendations

Postby aliciaf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:01 pm

I just bought my future mother in law a NutriBullet system for Christmas. It looks and sounds like it works really well. It also comes with recipes.

Postby Dave B » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:40 pm

We have the Omega Vert, which is a low speed (~70 rpm) self cleaner. I like it quite a bit. The big upside is (supposedly) the lower speed doesn't cause heat through friction that can destroy enzymes. It's also really quiet compared to a high speed.

The only down side so far is that it doesn't handle kale very well. Usually I have to to stop and reverse the rotation every whole leaf or it will jam. I'll still take that over the obnoxious buzz-saw sound of the high speed juicers.

We experimented quite a bit when we first got it and juiced everything in site. Now after having had the machine for 3 months we just make the same thing everyday and I think it's pretty damn tasty.

This recipe is for two large servings:

5 kale leaves
1/3 bunch Parsley
1/2 Cucumber peeled
Thumb-tip sized piece of ginger
5 medium carrots
4 stalks celery
2 apples
2 oranges
1 lemon

Also, whole watermelon (including the rind) is awesome juiced. Looking forward to making more of that come summer time. Strawberry juice is really good to but is incredibly sweet, like insulin shock sweet, but goes with vodka and fresh mint like a match born in heaven.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:21 am

My boyfriend bought me a Breville 5-speed back in October, and I've been using it daily! After seeing "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead," I got inspired to do the 3-day reboot program. You can go to the website: jointhereboot.com. There are tons of recipes there. I choose to do the Mean Green daily, which is the following:

5-8 Kale leaves
1 cucumber
1/2 lemon
2 green apples
spinach
1" ginger (although I like to go much higher)
4 celery stalks
(I also add parsley)

Incidentally, I met Joe Cross at the Whole Foods in Denver last month on his tour - super nice guy. He made a really good point that I never considered before - after you juice your stuff, run the pulp through the juicer once more. You will definitely get more out of it. Also, sometimes if you clean the screen on the juicer mid-run, you will also maximize the amount of juice that can pass through.

I've been noticing that my energy is up. I don't believe this is from excessive sugars in the juice because I try to do 80% veggies and 20% fruit overall to minimize the fructose (as the program recommends.) Point being, I think it has enhanced my health. I'll know for sure when allergy season rolls around again for me in May and when I start to get up in the alpine more again. I was talking to a guy at Crossfit who has been doing this same thing (Mean Green every morning) for a few months who said his joints no longer give him any pain - isn't that something ALL of us 14er people can benefit from! People tell me that my color in my skin looks really good, so I'm thinking that all the greens I juice must be giving me some good iron which will also help with those high altitude hikes. From what I understand, lemons enhance the iron-providing qualities of greens. The Mean Green contains both. I've heard that as a general rule only apples, lemons and tomatoes should ever be combined with vegetables. I'd be interested to find out if anyone knows otherwise. Good luck in your juicer purchase!
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Postby Cheaton6 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:54 am

We have the Jack Lalanne Power Juicer and have had it for a couple of years now. It works good and juices pretty much everything. The only 'problem' is that it is difficult to get all the way clean. I have not used other juicers so I am not sure if they also are difficult to clean so I can't compare. However we have been happy very happy with it, carrots and apples are my favorites to juice. I juiced an onion once and drank that and I would not recommend anyone else try that that was brutal.

Postby Johnson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:35 am

I see juicers in the $100 range....do they work OK?

Postby crestone14ers » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 pm

I've got a thirty year old Champion that runs incredibly well. I'd recommend either a Champion or an Acme.

Buy quality once and for-get-about-it! :wink:
“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai

Postby Dave B » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:51 am

Johnson wrote:I see juicers in the $100 range....do they work OK?

It seems to me that the cheaper juicers don't last as long and don't have the extended warranty of the more expensive machines. I think we paid $350 for ours and it has a 10 year warranty.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Postby Johnson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:56 am

Dave B wrote:
Johnson wrote:I see juicers in the $100 range....do they work OK?

It seems to me that the cheaper juicers don't last as long and don't have the extended warranty of the more expensive machines. I think we paid $350 for ours and it has a 10 year warranty.

Thanks Dave... I could use some juice today! :shock: A friend gave me a couple of his home brews.... :shock:
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby ThuChad » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:56 am

Ninja! Just got it for Christmas and using it for the first time right now. Looks legit.

I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby VagabondSurveyor » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:55 am

I have the Breville Juice Fountain, works great for me. Much better than the two cheaper juicers that I used previously.

Postby jomagam » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:35 am

Carrots + green apple + ginger FTW !

Next