Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby randalmartin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:18 am

Any idea when the best opportunity for the next snow event is? Seems the forecast as far out as we go is just sunny. I like sunny, but hoping we get some big snow in the high country soon. [-o< [-o<

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby Bean » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:32 am

Maybe something in a week and a half or two weeks...same story we heard all last winter.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:59 am

The oceans have reached a critical desalinization point affecting weather patterns world wide.

Postby rocky » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:03 pm

...patience, grasshopper.
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby EatinHardtack » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Damn You Bill Middlebrook!!!! Although I am pretty sure he wants the snow also.

I suggested to my buddies last night that we need to sacrifice something. A ritual killing always brings the goods.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby ajkagy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 pm

According to Dr. Jeff Masters (founder of wunderground):

"three studies published in the past year have found that the jet stream has been getting stuck in unusually strong blocking patterns in recent years. These studies found that the recent record decline in Arctic sea ice could be responsible, since this heats up the pole, altering the Equator-to-pole temperature difference, forcing the jet stream to slow down, meander, and get stuck in large loops. The 2012 Arctic sea ice melt season was extreme, with sea ice extent hitting a record lows."
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby jmc5040 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:26 pm

The East Coast...

SNOW AMOUNTS ESTIMATED AT SKI RESORTS:
Snowshoe, W.Va.: 36"
Wisp, Md.: 36"
Seven Springs, Pa.: 28"
Beech Mountain, NC: 22"
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby peter303 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:27 pm

We tend to have droughts around the peak of the 11-year solar cycle. The peak is in 2013. The last peak and major drought was 2001-2002.

I hope this doesnt happen this winter.

Postby powhound » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:56 pm

Have hope. Maybe a week before it starts up. Check out http://snowforecast.com/BreckenridgeSkiResort Read the long range forecast at the bottom of the page. You can plug in whatever ski area is closest to the part of the state you are interested in. I have found this site to be fairly accurate. I also like the detail and how it is presented.

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Postby San Juan Ron » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:35 pm

I realize it's very early, but down south we have no snow. Yesterday I drove to Silverton (from LC) over Cinnamon Pass -- virtually no snow. Hiked Handies via GG today -- no snow. The Lake Fork of the Gunnison actually has DRIED up for 3/4 of a mile between AB and Burrows Park. The "river" actually is partially flowing underground during this 3/4 mile but I have never seen the river completely disappear above ground. That's a first! Let's hope the snow comes soon. SJ Ron

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:13 pm

If we don't act now, it may be too late.

Postby Kiefer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:29 pm

SchralpTheGnar wrote:If we don't act now, it may be too late.

QUICK!!!
If you act now, by donating $10.00 per person to my Paypal account, I promise to find a right-leaning, Romney sympathizer baby harp seal
and sacrifice it on the summit of a peak next to the little brown mound I'll personally leave (cough-cough) while snow-dancing. Of course, that doesn't really abide by
"Leave no Trace" ethics, but I'm sure with a little salt, the marmots and mountain goats can take care of the evidence.
PM me for my Paypal account. O:)

Next