Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wilson Group Question

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Wilson Group Question

Postby milan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Well, its not in your options but I did Mt. Wilson and El Diente from Killpacker Basin and Wilson Peak from ROA, if you backpack in Killpacker, its really pretty. I didnt find the Rock of Ages trailhead very nice (new, muddy, in the forest) and not options to backpack farther (I might be wrong). I don't know about Navaho at all but both El DIente and Mount Wilson are supposedly more difficult from there.

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:37 pm

Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby dannymiller15 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:54 pm

If you're going to be camping at Navajo Lake, you might want to consider the Woods Lake approach to Navajo Lake. It's listed as one of the routes on the "Trail heads and Route" page for Mt Wilson. Great trail and it's in the trees most of the way for relief from the sun and a little protection if it rains. We used it earlier this year and it's definitively my preferred route into Navajo Basin.

Have fun

Postby mtndude3737 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:03 pm

I have climbed Wilson Peak from Silver Pick twice (back when it was open), Mt Wilson from Kilpacker (twice) and El Diente from Navajo (twice) and Wilson Peak a third time from Navajo Basin. I love Kilpacker, but my favorite is backpacking into Navajo Basin from the Navajo Lake trail head, base camping near the lake, and climbing them individually from there.

There are recent reports of a Wolverine in the Kilpacker basin area, so that may motivate you to go that way, but it would make climbing Wilson Peak much harder.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:20 pm

I haven't been there since the hostage crisis/trailhead relocation, but I thought Silver Pick Basin was pretty ugly.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Jim Davies wrote:I haven't been there since the hostage crisis/trailhead relocation, but I thought Silver Pick Basin was pretty ugly.

The TH is wide open, the hike in is mostly subpar in experience since it is old mining roads, but once you get to the stone cabin and up to the top of ROA, it redeems itself nicely with a good view into Navajo and a quick ascent/descent of Wilson Peak (although I wouldn't know this personally, since I crashed on a sub-summit maybe 100 yards away and 100 feet below the summit). Think a bit longer version of Castle/Conundrum? That's how I think if it.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby ChrisinAZ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:56 am

Fletch--RoA to Wilson Pk and back in a day is very doable, though I found the approach to the saddle tedious and not much fun. With a sufficiently early start and good weather, you can add Gladstone on too, but be warned--it's a damned sketchy mountain. I felt uncomfortable enough on the loose, flaky crap along that ridgeline to turn around, which I rarely do.

Also, if you're daytripping it and enjoy solid but exposed scrambling, consider heading up the Navajo Lake side and doing the N Buttress to gain El D. It's freaky in a few spots, but mostly fun and--just as importantly--a surprisingly solid way to gain El D. I'd agree to probably just descend Mt. Wilson into Kilpacker, as I found the Navajo descent to be tedious and loose and unpleasant. The traverse is generally a lot of fun, and didn't really seem to get hard until the crux.

P.S. You up for some revenge on Buffalo soon, maybe in October? :)
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy