Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rainier Climbing Partner Needed

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Rainier Climbing Partner Needed

Postby mtnrunner3165 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Am looking for someone to climb Rainier with from June 11-14 via standard route from Camp Muir ... summit Columbia Crest and cross over to Liberty Cap and back. Have done standard summit with RMI once before but need to go back to get Liberty Cap. Email Garry at gharrington3165@hotmail.

Re: Rainier Climbing Partner Needed

Postby Redleg Bruce » Sun May 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Definitely interested. Was already looking at doing Rainier at that time. Where are you flying out of?
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Postby Brian C » Mon May 21, 2012 6:50 am

Are you sold on Rainier or would you be interested in Little Tahoma (or maybe Baker)?
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby mtnrunner3165 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:14 am

I am planning to fly from Denver to Seattle late on Sunday, June 10, get a motel room near the airport, drive to Rainier on Monday and climb to Muir Camp that afternoon, camp there, then get an alpine start (2 a.m.?) to summit both Columbia Crest and Liberty Cap (and if the weather is cooperating) maybe even Point Success. Back to Camp Muir by afternoon and hike out on Wednesday ... fly home late Thursday ... that gives a one-day window in case the weather is bad. Of course, bad weather may nix the whole summit attempt. My main objective is Liberty Cap as it is a ranked 14er that I am missing. If you are seriously interested, please call me in Colorado Springs at 603-209-5010. Garry

Postby Upstate Hiker » Tue May 22, 2012 9:34 am

My dates don't line up with your's, but I'll be in Washington next week. I'd love to find a partner and have a go at Rainier. I'm available to climb May 29 to June 1.

Postby mtnrunner3165 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:42 am

Sorry, but my window is very narrow as well and I can only be there from June 11-14. Good luck and take care!

Postby Redleg Bruce » Tue May 22, 2012 10:24 am

That sounds like it will work, but I am also going to be bringing the wife and kids either before the hike or after to tie a family vacation in and around Seattle/the sound into the hike. Your plan sounds fine but I am not sure if I will have those dates available. I'll be giving you a call in a few days just to touch base and talk logistics and other things climb related. Look forward to talking with you,
Bruce
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Postby mtnrunner3165 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 am

OK Bruce, looking forward to it ... maybe we can make the dates work. Garry 603-209-5010 Colorado Springs.

Postby vimaury » Tue May 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi. I will be in the Seattle area from 8th of June though 12th and leaving on the 13th in the morning. I am looking to rope up with someone with more experience than me and climb Rainier. I have been as far as Muir with RMI last year. I have climbed Pico de Orizaba and Malinche in Mexico, a few Colorado 14ers and Shasta in about a week. Thank you, Maury

Postby mtnrunner3165 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Maury, sounds like this may work ... our itineraries are only one day off. Please contact me so we can discuss how we might work this. As I had mentioned, I had wanted to go to Muir Camp on Monday, get an early start for the summit on Tuesday around 2 a.m. and summit both Columbia Crest and Liberty Cap and then get back down to Muir Camp that night and hike out on Wednesday the 13th. I take there is no way you can move your dates back 24 hours? If so, that would accommodate me. If not, I may be able to change my plans to arrive on Saturday night and move that itinerary up one day. I can be reached in Colorado Springs tonight at 603-209-5010.

Postby Matt Lemke » Tue May 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Anyone know if you have to apply for a permit way in advance for Rainier? I think we can just register when we get there right?
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby CAF » Wed May 23, 2012 6:36 am

Matt Lemke wrote:Anyone know if you have to apply for a permit way in advance for Rainier? I think we can just register when we get there right?

Yes you can register the day of your climb, earlier is better as Muir and Schurman can fill up on busy weekends. A great resource for Rainier questions and route info is www.mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com , which is maintained by the NPS climbing rangers.

Next