Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Super Scary Avy Conditions on Mizzou

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Super Scary Avy Conditions on Mizzou

Postby clemsonmtneer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:13 pm

Some great observations being reported here! Glad you started this thread, Jay. In addition to the excellent forecasts the CAIC puts out, it's always nice to read first-hand observations to get an even better idea of what the conditions are like in certain areas... especially now that CAIC is done forecasting for the season.

One interesting thing a couple of you guys have posted here is finding in some areas warmer, weaker snow at a higher elevation, and frozen, more consolidated snow lower down, and Jay and I found similar conditions on Missouri. Normally, this would indicate an inversion, except it was too damn windy for there to have been an inversion. Strange conditions for sure.

What I've learned from this as well as from similar experiences is to always be very aware of the snowpack you're traveling on, even when expecting to encounter stable conditions beforehand. Spring snowpack conditions are much more predictable than in winter, but it takes more than just looking at the forecasted low temperature to determine how well the snowpack freezes on a given aspect and a given mountain... there are so many variables at play, that you never really know until you're out there and can evaluate the snowpack yourself.

Postby Gueza » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:55 pm

jmoney wrote:Nothing like some high school name calling to boost the intellectual value of a thread ](*,) I made that comment half jokingly, and I admit I could have worded it better. What prompted me to get up on a soapbox was seeing a group of 3 skiers/riders who were heading up to ski the East Face of Huron Sun with NO AVY GEAR whatsoever.

There was another group of 3 skiers heading up to ski the E face of Huron on Sunday besides our own? We didn't see them unless of course you are referring to my group of 4 whose members were all equipped with avy gear and knowledge.
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Gueza wrote:
jmoney wrote:Nothing like some high school name calling to boost the intellectual value of a thread ](*,) I made that comment half jokingly, and I admit I could have worded it better. What prompted me to get up on a soapbox was seeing a group of 3 skiers/riders who were heading up to ski the East Face of Huron Sun with NO AVY GEAR whatsoever.

There was another group of 3 skiers heading up to ski the E face of Huron on Sunday besides our own? We didn't see them unless of course you are referring to my group of 4 whose members were all equipped with avy gear and knowledge.

Eric,
We went up Saturday....remember the total ass hat of a day to be on snow?

Jay, Good thread bud.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Gueza » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:
Gueza wrote:

Eric,
We went up Saturday....remember the total ass hat of a day to be on snow?

Jay, Good thread bud.

Thanks for the correction Zach, my bad Jay. I'm a little sleep deprived with Huron, then prom, then after party, then football... I could hear you guys yelling in agony from across the lake once you got into that slushy, dead fall, talus, bushwacking $hit hole that was impossible to ski through haha. Going up and down through treeline really put a damper on the day. I think i'm almost ready to hang them up for the season just because of that.
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Eric

Pissed off doesn't even come close to the emotions we all had after that day.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:29 pm

Sounds like a crazy weekend!!

All I can tell you is the fishing was crazy, too. Hooray!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Previous