Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby gdthomas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 am

Article XVIII, Section 16 of the Colorado Constitution, "Personal use and regulation of marijuana", also known as Amendment 64 - Colorado Marijuana Legalization Initiative. The full text of the law was published yesterday. Not a mountaineering publication but undoubtedly of interest to many mountaineers.

Postby Johnson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Ok. Posted that I was reading this earlier, but The Ledge was excellent. A 'must read'.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/31/168079373/dec-31-jan-6-a-whodunit-a-mountain-survival-and-a-jfk-affair
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby madbuck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Johnson wrote:Ok. Posted that I was reading this earlier, but The Ledge was excellent. A 'must read'.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/31/168079373/dec-31-jan-6-a-whodunit-a-mountain-survival-and-a-jfk-affair

Yeah, and some good occasional Fort Collins & Colorado references.

Postby I fall a lot » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Jim Davies wrote:"The Signal and the Noise" by Nate Silver. Fascinating discussion of forecasting and prediction in various areas (weather, economics, elections, epidemics, sports). Not to spoil the plot, but it reinforced my impressions of weather forecasts (short-term forecasts have improved markedly in recent years, but anything over 8 days is worse than taking the averages for the date!). Also, economists are really, really bad at predicting the future, but usually don't care because of political bias.

My wife gave this to me for xmas and now I'm more excited to read it. I'm sure his books have been selling through the roof since the election.

Postby notallwhowander » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:42 pm

The latest great read was "A Blistered Kind of Love" by Angela and Duffy Ballard, about their thru-hike of the PCT. I've been on a waiting list for a few months at the library to read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. Does anyone know of a memoir of the Colorado Trail (which I'm planning on thru-hiking this summer)?

Postby DaveLanders » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:37 pm

notallwhowander wrote:The latest great read was "A Blistered Kind of Love" by Angela and Duffy Ballard, about their thru-hike of the PCT. I've been on a waiting list for a few months at the library to read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. Does anyone know of a memoir of the Colorado Trail (which I'm planning on thru-hiking this summer)?
M. John Fayhee (editor of the Mountain Gazette) wrote a book about hiking the
Colorado Trail. He's a good (and funny) writer. The book is about 20 years old, and may not be in
print anymore. I'm not sure of the title.

Postby MountainMedic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:19 am

I finally got to Infinite Jest, which may be the most brilliant thing ever written. Here are a few samples to serve as potent motivators to read all 1050 pages (150 of which are footnotes, some of which have footnotes):

"What Mario perceived as a sudden radical drop in the prevailing temperature was in fact the USS Millicent Kent's sexual stimulation sucking tremendous quantities of ambient energy out of the air surrounding them."

"...the Militant Grammarians of Massachusetts, ever since a bramble in the flank of advertisers, corporations, and all fast-and-loose players with the integrity of public discourse."

It ranges from fun sentences like these to the philosophical. Read it only if you're patient and have a month to put up with it - reading it's the mental equivalent of climbing a highly technical mountain covered with ice in 60 mph winds.

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:13 am

I got Mountain Heroes: Portraits of Adventure for Christmas, and am looking forward to reading it.

So far, I'm just enjoying all the great photos, like this classic shot of Fred Beckey:

Postby nicholasblee » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:29 am

DaveLanders wrote:M. John Fayhee (editor of the Mountain Gazette) wrote a book about hiking the
Colorado Trail. He's a good (and funny) writer. The book is about 20 years old, and may not be in

I'm assuming it's this one? Looks good.

Along the Colorado Trail

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:10 am

notallwhowander wrote:Does anyone know of a memoir of the Colorado Trail (which I'm planning on thru-hiking this summer)?

This book is the story of a family hiking the Continental Divide Trail, but includes a section on hiking the Colorado Trail.
http://www.amazon.com/Scraping-Heaven-Familys-Journey-Continental/dp/0071373608
Kind of rough writing, but interesting if you're considering backpacking with toddlers.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby DaveLanders » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:45 pm

nicholasblee wrote:
DaveLanders wrote:M. John Fayhee (editor of the Mountain Gazette) wrote a book about hiking the

Along the Colorado Trail
Yes, that's the book. For some reason Fielder is listed as first author, even though
Fayhee wrote most or all of it. There are a lot of Fielder's photos though, which are always good.

Postby Vincopotamus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 pm

DaveLanders wrote:
nicholasblee wrote:

Along the Colorado Trail
Yes, that's the book. For some reason Fielder is listed as first author, even though
Fayhee wrote most or all of it. There are a lot of Fielder's photos though, which are always good.

+1
Nothing else has made me want to hike the CT more than that book.

I'm a big Fayhee fan. He published a book of his "Greatest Hits" from the Mountain Gazette which had a well written piece about how to describe one climbs/hikes/goes up fourteeners.
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

PreviousNext