Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Rescue

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: No more dogs in the backcountry!

Postby mountainmicah83 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 am

lindasmith wrote:Dogs in the backcountry, and on 14ers, are a nusiance. They chase the wildlife, make too much noise, sh*t all over, and insist on pushing their nose into my groin or licking my kids with their slobber. Please, please keep your dogs at home! You really can be alone, for a few hours, without your stupid pets!

Linda

Bravo lindasmith. Way to "dog" people with your first post to 14ers.com. You must really be trying to make friends. Maybe you created another screenname just so people wouldn't scrutinize you on your regular profile. I bet my dog can climb better than you. Oh and I guess we should remove all of the wildlife from the back country too so they don't poo all over too huh? Why don't you just keep you kids at home until they learn that they are humans and they are in charge of dogs and not the other way around? I mean your kids are probably whining, and throwing rocks down on other climbers, screaming and just being a nuissance. :D That's enough for now, I have to go Marmot hunting with my dog because Marmot season starts tomorrow!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby dumbsocrates » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:33 am

lindasmith wrote:Dogs in the backcountry, and on 14ers, are a nusiance. They chase the wildlife, make too much noise, sh*t all over, and insist on pushing their nose into my groin or licking my kids with their slobber. Please, please keep your dogs at home! You really can be alone, for a few hours, without your stupid pets!

Linda

You know what else we can without in the mountains? Annoying women who insist on improving the world by telling dog-owners to leave their dogs at home and a bunch of screaming kids that come along with them. Please, please keep your kids at home! Oh, and btw, when my dog sh*t in the woods, at least I pick it up!

Postby Hacksaw » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:46 am

mountainmicah83 wrote:[......, I have to go Marmot hunting with my dog because Marmot season starts tomorrow!

Do they taste very good? #-o
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby mountainmicah83 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:48 am

Hacksaw wrote:
mountainmicah83 wrote:[......, I have to go Marmot hunting with my dog because Marmot season starts tomorrow!

Perhaps they taste better than a groin?

I would imagine not. They are very fat rats basically! Their fur would make warm hats though and it would thin out the population a bit to keep them from chewing through my straps.
Last edited by mountainmicah83 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Re: Dog Rescue

Postby wesley_j » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:51 am

dumbsocrates wrote:

:shock:

Linda

You know what else we can without in the mountains? Annoying women who insist on improving the world by telling dog-owners to leave their dogs at home and a bunch of screaming kids that come along with them. Please, please keep your kids at home! Oh, and btw, when my dog sh*t in the woods, at least I pick it up!

+1

"But in his heart he knows that sometimes a dog is as good as any man..."
Trying to do as we should
That doesn't always rhyme with doing what feels good

Postby dumbsocrates » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:55 am

msc118 wrote:Other dog owners out there, do you use boots? For what kinds of hikes do you use them? All, or just the longer/rockier ones?

I have a 16-month-old belgian shepherd. He's gone on multiple hikes with me this year (it's his first season), and I haven't had a problem yet. I must admit that his longest hike so far was perhaps 7-miles long, so I don't think I'm qualified to answer the question. However, in the back of my mind, I always worry about his paws getting injured. I considered those little booties, but, lord, they're expensive! On the other hand, carrying his 50-pound-ass down a mountain would kind of ruin my day.

Postby George James » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:56 am

Hacksaw wrote:

e-mongol wrote:When done, the marmot meat is very tender and tastes like wild duck according to some foreigners.

http://www.e-mongol.com/mongolia_culture_cooking-recipes.htm

Mmm...BooDOG.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby StevieTwoShoes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:56 am

Linda

I agree with a lot of this and actually think dogs--and pets in general--are a nuisance, regardless of where they are, but your efforts to convince people to leave their dogs at home are futile. Dog owners love their pets and want to spend time with them, a privilege they are granted by the laws that govern public lands. Because they love their dogs, they react to criticism such as yours emotionally, especially given your own emotional attack on their "stupid pets." Sooooo, my point is, you have started a battle you can't win. Your post, in the way it was phrased, really had no relevance to this topic and you should probably just go away and leave them to talk about dog boots, socks, and pet stretchers.
"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education." -Wilson Mizner

Postby pak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:58 am

Wow - what a thread! For some reason I feel compelled to add a comment.

I am not a dog owner, but I have climbed with people who are, and who have brought their dogs along. We all have our preferences in our backcountry experience, but many areas are multi-use. It seems a better approach to realize that others are entitled to their experience of the mountains as well, even if it differs with ours.

MountainMicah - when we climbed Castle (in snow) your dog amazed me! Even though you helped him negotiate a class 3 move, I was fine having him along. BTW - I think I have a great picture of "Baz" on the summit.

Last Saturday I soloed the west face route of Snowmass - a couple was on the summit with their two dogs - again, I'm not a dog person, but I was fine with having them there.

Again, multi-use seems to be key; we all need to accept the choices of others, as long as they are legal. I do NOT condone illegal access or activities (as much as I'd like to take my mountain bike into some of the wilderness areas, it is illegal and therefore not acceptable).
Phil

Postby mountainmicah83 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 am

pak wrote:Wow - what a thread! For some reason I feel compelled to add a comment.

I am not a dog owner, but I have climbed with people who are, and who have brought their dogs along. We all have our preferences in our backcountry experience, but many areas are multi-use. It seems a better approach to realize that others are entitled to their experience of the mountains as well, even if it differs with ours.

MountainMicah - when we climbed Castle (in snow) your dog amazed me! Even though you helped him negotiate a class 3 move, I was fine having him along. BTW - I think I have a great picture of "Baz" on the summit.

Last Saturday I soloed the west face route of Snowmass - a couple was on the summit with their two dogs - again, I'm not a dog person, but I was fine with having them there.

Again, multi-use seems to be key; we all need to accept the choices of others, as long as they are legal. I do NOT condone illegal access or activities (as much as I'd like to take my mountain bike into some of the wilderness areas, it is illegal and therefore not acceptable).

+1 Pak. You are exactly right.

I would like that pic.

Oh and don't worry, no Baz on capitol! As much as he amazes me, I don't want to risk his life on the knife ridge!

Postby ktimm » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:16 am

My dogs do plenty of peaks and plenty of long days and have never worn booties or had issues with their feet. It's what you are used to, if your dog never goes out and then gets on scree there will be a problem. Can we get rid of all the deer, elk and bear poo as well ? I really wish the horse people would pack theirs out and the ones who graze livestock on public lands would do the same.

Postby mile-HI-brugg » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 am

+1 Pak

Dead on. I hike with my dog and he is always on a leash and I let him go say Hi to people when they show interest. You can always pick out the ones that would not like to. I am curious though - How can someone that love the outdoors not like animals. I have yet in all my hiking to see an animal that ruined it for me. I have certainly seen plenty of humans that make the trip less enjoyable!

PreviousNext