Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Your Favorite Climbing Movies/DVDs

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Your Favorite Climbing Movies/DVDs

Postby Shasta Locales » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:16 pm

TK wrote:If you don't mind reading subtitles, North Face (originally titled Norwand in German) is a great film about the Kurz, Hinterstoisser expedition on the Eiger. The only down side is the campy female lead who was a fictional vehicle to show the political undertones of early efforts to climb the Eiger. Her character was a waste in an otherwise well done non-fiction climbing tragedy. Just be warned, it's not a good film to show your girlfriend before leaving on a backpacking trip.

Yeah, if you like movies where everybody DIES in the end...

Postby Shasta Locales » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:20 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:Vertical Limit - because of the scene where the blonde babe is hanging from the cliff face by her ice axe after the avalanche caused by an explosion, then produces a cam from somewhere, swings over and places it in a crack, then hangs on it, then climbs up... A true classic.

Vertical Limit - It was so bad it was good.

Postby Shasta Locales » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Seriously though

My wife and I both love Touching the void, of course, and the Everest Imax with Ed Viesturs...

but

My wife's favorite is National Geographics "Everest 50 Years on the Mountain"

And my favorite is " Everest - The Fatal Climb" about Mark Whetu trying to save Michael Rohrbach. Thats my favorite. Whetu is one of the best Everest cinematographers.

Postby Johnson » Wed May 04, 2011 9:17 pm

TK wrote:If you don't mind reading subtitles, North Face (originally titled Norwand in German) is a great film about the Kurz, Hinterstoisser expedition on the Eiger. The only down side is the campy female lead who was a fictional vehicle to show the political undertones of early efforts to climb the Eiger. Her character was a waste in an otherwise well done non-fiction climbing tragedy. Just be warned, it's not a good film to show your girlfriend before leaving on a backpacking trip.

Just watched it on Netflix...... yeah, good thing my wife didn't watch it with me. Probably wouldn't be allowed to climb Florida's highest point after that!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby stonebaez » Wed May 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Shasta Locales wrote:

Yeah, if you like movies where everybody DIES in the end...

You probably ruined The Titanic for all of your friends too...
Climb.

Postby geojed » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 am

Johnson wrote:

Just watched it on Netflix...... yeah, good thing my wife didn't watch it with me. Probably wouldn't be allowed to climb Florida's highest point after that!

Just watched Nordwand on Amazon Instant Video last night (http://www.amazon.com/North-Face-English-Subtitled/dp/B003V9OCIS/ref=pd_cbs_mov_aiv_8). Incredible Cinematography! Yeah, I definitely won't be letting my wife watch it. :-" :-" The fictional female character was a bit cheesy and did take up too much screen time IMHO, but didn't detract too much from an otherwise edge of your seat gripping movie. It added a bit of drama and romance to the movie.

Wow, it definitely got my heart pumping watching it. It took awhile for the adrenaline to subside so I could fall asleep! Just awesome.
Last edited by geojed on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby davebks » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Id like to see Nanga Parbat but they havent released an english version or subtitles as far as I know. Preview looked cool though
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5024428/nanga_parbat_movie_trailer/

Postby geojed » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Last night I watched The Wildest Dream (http://www.amazon.com/The-Wildest-Dream/dp/B004S5C6W8/ref=pd_cbs_mov_aiv_2). Conrad Anker's look at the Mallory-Irvine expedition on Everest. Very cool.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Previous