Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

OSMP runners/hikers take notice

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds
CG_old

Re: OSMP runners/hikers take notice

Postby CG_old » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:13 am

Jared Workman wrote:First off a big thank you to Chris for the screw shoe suggestion and thebeave to the exact screw type, those things worked like a charm.

If anyone here hikes/jogs/runs Green Mt via the ranger trail you should be aware there is a good bit of mountain lion activity back there. I saw numerous tracks off in the trees and came upon a very fresh blood trail at the Ranger/Greenman trail intersection. There had been a kill that day (I was there the day before) and bloody drag marks that went for about 50 feet.

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up... I'll forward this info along to the BTR list.

- Chris

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:54 pm

Just an FYI: They closed those trails this morning due to the recent lion kill.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:00 pm

Jared Workman wrote:The ranger trail or the whole of Green Mt?
Never mind I checked it out on the website.

It's probably a good idea, there was a creepy amount of Cougar tracks for about a mile and I was pretty uncomfortable running through there.

No kidding, I'll bet it was! I would have been running with a big stick or something :-)

They tend to vigorously guard their kills.

Hope it wasn't a human.

Postby coloradokevin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:59 pm

Chris Gerber wrote:Hope it wasn't a human.

No kidding... If this all happened today, I doubt a person would have even been reported missing yet.

So, Jared, what is the inside scoop? Fur or Goretex left behind?

Cougars

Postby skystrings » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:36 pm

This is a subject that I've noticed doesn't get mentioned much on this site. I used to help a friend guide Mt. Lions years ago (15) around the Royal Gorge area of Co. There were certainly plenty of cats back then and I would only expect that the numbers have been on the rise because of the anti hunters resistance to hunting them. With that being said, it seems that you really don't hear much about climbers/hikers having any encounters on this site. I know that they are definitely growing bolder with humans in Nebraska and I would imagine the same to be true in CO. Is this the case or does anyone have any stories or information on cougar attacks?
"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Postby Shad » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:37 am

I have seen 2 cats in the past month in the Red Rocks/Matthew Winters trails by Morrison. They might have been the same cat, not sure. Both times I came across the cat standing on the trail as I turned a corner while running. Scared the crap out of me and the cat. Both times I was within 30 feet of the cat and it was at dawn. It is enough to get the blood flowing that is for sure. Thank god the thing ran off both times. I think I am running out of lives.

Shad
Some succeed because they are destined to,
but most succeed because they are determined to.
-----unknown

Postby karadiamond » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:09 pm

I was at Apex yesterday and I felt that I saw cat prints on the trail. Thanks for the post!

Here, Kitty Kitty!

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:42 pm

I saw this sign at the junction of the Mesa Trail and the Bear Canyon Trail Saturday, 12/1:

The "wildlife activity" closure seems intentionally vague; they also would have closed the trail for raptor nesting or bear activity. It would be nice to know what to look for. I brought a ball of yarn and some little mousies to distract any big felines that I encountered. I came up Shadow Canyon, and the first two hikers that I encountered had dogs. Both said that their dogs had been acting "funny." I spent a lot of time looking over my shoulder, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. There was supposed to be an inch of fresh snow, but I didn't see any fresh snow until I hit about 8,000 feet. I saw canine pawprints without any human footprints nearby, probably coyote. No big kitty prints.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Next