Dogs on 14ers?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Should dogs be banned from 14ers?

No
71%
Yes
29%

Total votes: 167
longmonster
Trip Reports (0)

Post by longmonster »

timf wrote: You need to give someone permission to offend you.
Tim,

Your post is undeniably moronic.
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

timf wrote: P.S. Kevin!!! Juno is a beautiful dog.
Thanks timf! Just don't say that too loud, I don't want Juno developing an ego here :wink:
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

longmonster wrote:
Tim,

HAHA! Nice trolling!
You called me a name and hurt my feelings.
I think I'm going to cry. WAAA!!!
longmonster
Trip Reports (0)

Post by longmonster »

timf wrote: You called me a name and hurt my feelings.
No invitation necessary.
fluxrad
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fluxrad »

longmonster wrote:
Tim,

Wow. That was kind of a dick response.

As for the rest of the posts. I operate under a simple guideline and it's the same one I use for any dog, anywhere: Make sure your dog is under control and not bothering other people. For some, that may mean keeping their dog on leash the entire hike. For others, that may mean no leash at all. I personally have a one and a half year old heeler mix that is a terror off leash. For some reason, when we get to around 12,000ft. she seems to settle down and will follow me/obey (I suppose it's because she's afraid I might leave her - separation anxiety and the like). So for my dog, it's on-leash around the trail-head and off leash higher up when she's under control. If she were to go nuts or get out of control in any way, it would be back on leash for the rest of the trip. The same thing goes if we're even approaching a situation where my dog could get out of control.

As for dog poop - pick it up. Sure, it's biodegradable - but not very fast and its unsightly - more importantly, it wasn't on the mountain to begin with so you're violating Leave No Trace principles by leaving your dog's crap all over the mountain.

As for the rest of the minutiae surrounding the dog question - people need to be more respectful of others...and that includes being respectful of dog owners. 14'ers are for everyone's enjoyment - not just people who don't like dogs on the mountain. If someone's dog is bothering you, you should ask the owner to leash their pooch. They should respect your wishes and do it. If they don't? Well they're a crappy dog owner - but we have those down in Denver too.

I suppose the objection here is that people shouldn't have to put up with any contact with a dog in the first place. But I think that's a bit silly. It's the wilderness, not a theme park. Absolutely, owners that have unruly dogs should have them leashed in the first place. But if you're the type of person that gets angry when a pretty well behaved dog comes up to check you out - well, you must lead a very unhappy life.

Unfortunately it seems that too many people have an attitude of "Well, I wouldn't bring a dog up here, or I wouldn't let a dog off leash, so no one else should be allowed to!" Legislating for preference or for against the extreme minority of bad dog owners is exactly how you get a nanny state.
"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

fluxrad wrote:
longmonster wrote:
Tim,

Yeah, but that's OK. My original posting still applies and I'm not offended. You should however check out his profile. He's quite humble.

"Preferred Climbing: No preference, Ive done everything.
Goals: Provide enlightenment to the community and attempt to raise the intelligence level through sometimes harsh lessons. This may or may not be related to climbing.
Accomplishments: Far too many to list, but relavent to this website, Ive climbed most of the 14ers generally by undocumented first ascents.

FYI, my personal policy is to refrain from divulging information about routes or climbing advice. My knowledge is dangerous to newbies and experienced climbers are usually unworthy.

My Gear List: Again, knowledge of my gear list is too dangerous for the general population.

You would need ten or twenty years of experience before I would even consider revealing it, and even then you would have to endure a humbling and grueling apprenticeship under my tutelage."
longmonster
Trip Reports (0)

Post by longmonster »

timf wrote: My original posting still applies and I'm not offended.
Quite believeable.

A sense of self worth is necessary before offense can be taken.
madhatt
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by madhatt »

timf wrote:
fluxrad wrote:
longmonster wrote: Tim,

Yeah, but that's OK. My original posting still applies and I'm not offended. You should however check out his profile. He's quite humble.

"Preferred Climbing: No preference, Ive done everything.
Goals: Provide enlightenment to the community and attempt to raise the intelligence level through sometimes harsh lessons. This may or may not be related to climbing.
Accomplishments: Far too many to list, but relavent to this website, Ive climbed most of the 14ers generally by undocumented first ascents.

FYI, my personal policy is to refrain from divulging information about routes or climbing advice. My knowledge is dangerous to newbies and experienced climbers are usually unworthy.

My Gear List: Again, knowledge of my gear list is too dangerous for the general population.

You would need ten or twenty years of experience before I would even consider revealing it, and even then you would have to endure a humbling and grueling apprenticeship under my tutelage."
wow, i'm not even in your argument but that is the most humble profile I've ever seen... I wonder if the gods kneel at his feet too... lol too much man.... too much....

so, i'm bored at work and thought I would make a stupid climber post on my blog for this member... http://www.madhatt.com/?p=236
Visit my website for pictures of my backpacking trips and more!!

longmonster
Trip Reports (0)

Post by longmonster »

madhatt wrote: but that is the most humble profile I've ever seen...
Alas, it is humble. Don't feel bad, I understand your ignorance.

Work on your sarcasm.

Try to write something interesting on your blog (for once)...
mbsteve1
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mbsteve1 »

Regardless of your point of view, this little guy looks pretty cool:

Here's the story on 9News:

"So when Alan Tiefenbach told 9NEWS his pug was able to summit mountains I found myself laughing (on the inside as laughing loudly in the newsroom can make one vulnerable to accusations of 'losing it').

"'He's about to climb another mountain if you'd like to check it out,'" I believe Tiefenbach told me when I e-mailed him."

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=75688
Hobopoet
Trip Reports (1)

"Because it's there..."

Post by Hobopoet »

Just a quick note. Hillary didn't say this; it was George Mallory in 1923 or 1924. :)
Yeti1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yeti1 »

I dont even have a dog, but If I had one he would be there with me. If I got stranded I could eat him. :shock: =P~ Just Kidding, boogers and toe nails first.
Less work, more play....