Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GARMIN GPS OWNERS: Read This

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby Alan Ellis » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:18 am

MtnHermit wrote: Will those NG routes show up on top of the 24K GPS Topos inside a Garmin mapping receiver? Do you have a screenshot?

Thanks
Hermit

I don't know because I've never tried it. Sorry....
Sack up and climb.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:21 am

MtnHermit wrote:
Alan Ellis wrote: however, the route downloads on the route pages ARE from NG Topo.
Will those NG routes show up on top of the 24K GPS Topos inside a Garmin mapping receiver? Do you have a screenshot?

Thanks
Hermit

The NG routes show up fine on the 24k maps. The unit shows them the same as with the 100k maps. Am I missing a function on my unit that will allow me to take a screen shot? etrex Vista Cx
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby MtnHermit » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:36 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Am I missing a function on my unit that will allow me to take a screen shot? etrex Vista Cx
To do a screen shot, download xImage from Garmin's website. Best to Google, works better than Garmin's internal search.

Hermit

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:52 am

Got it. Here are a few from Eolus showing an NG route overlayed on the 24k maps...

Image Image Image Image Image
Only SNOW will end the madness

Sweetness

Postby ryanclimbs » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:33 am

Best GPS maps yet! THANK YOU abovethetimber.com :!:

Postby alexosias » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:08 pm

I've been looking for a site/store to purcahse NG Topo for Colorado and I have only found a few places and the software is about $75. Has anyone had any luck finding places to get it for less money? Just curious and cheap.

xImage

Postby Greenhouseguy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:00 pm

This software is just what I've been looking for. I had tried opening Garmin files in CAD (which is supposed to work), but it just scrambles the images. With xImage, you can save the tracks as .bmp files. Any image manipulation software can then be used to add features and labels, color the track, or erase double tracks. Multiple screen shots can be stitched together. Then you can use the image manipulation software to save the file as a .jpg that can be posted to trip reports and web sites. Cool stuff like this could keep a techno geek busy into the wee hours...
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby thunderinacircle » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:09 pm

Okay; I do not own a GPS, nor do I expect I ever will. However, out of sheer curiosity, I ask the following. Hopefully someone can answer!

Can you actually load these maps onto a GPS unit, as well as map out your intended route? This, I assume, would then enable you to check your exact location in relation to where you had hoped to be? i.e. hooray i am on the trail or hmmmph it seems i am 12.3 meters east of the trail.
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.

Postby MtnHermit » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:38 pm

thunderinacircle wrote:Can you actually load these maps onto a GPS unit, as well as map out your intended route? This, I assume, would then enable you to check your exact location in relation to where you had hoped to be? i.e. hooray i am on the trail or hmmmph it seems i am 12.3 meters east of the trail.
Exactly!!!

The contours and water features are inside the GPS, see all the screenshots on Above the Timber's website [Bill's first post for links]. Your GPS position pointer places you on the map, you no longer have to transfer your position via coordinates to a paper map. As you move the position pointer moves, isn't science wonderful. If you have the track feature turned on, you will also have a track of where you've been, very handy for bushwack back tracking.

Last week I did a 4-day BP in the Weminuche Wilderness, Kite Lake to Ute Lake, 25-miles round trip. The only map I had was inside my Garmin, left the paper map in the truck. :roll: The GPS topo was actually more current than my 1994 TI topo. It showed the CD trail going up Nebo Creek, the TI maps had no trail there whatsoever. All this on 2-AAs for the trip. The 1GB memory card holds the whole state with 700MB left over.

If you get a unit with a barometric altimeter, it will record your accumulated elevation in addition to the miles. Don't care to go into the why, you may not care.

These are the ultimate eToy, tons on useful or not data, a full text editor for recording position & time events. The list goes on and on.

HTH
Hermit

Postby xpda » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:29 pm

I agree. I bought it and it's excellent.

Postby Bullwinkle » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:49 pm

The Garmin 60CSx comes standard with a 128M SD card, which is quite easily upgradable to handle the whole 313M file. That enables tremendous file management flexibility.

Re signal loss with some earlier generations, the 60CSx quad helix antenna has outstanding receptivity and more features than most will use. altitude is plus/minus 10 feet after calibration. All units are subject to DoD location degradation, but the 60CSx is as good as anything I've seen.

Very impressive on its first "walkabout"!
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Re: xImage

Postby MtnHermit » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:20 am

Greenhouseguy wrote:This software is just what I've been looking for. I had tried opening Garmin files in CAD (which is supposed to work), but it just scrambles the images. With xImage, you can save the tracks as .bmp files. Any image manipulation software can then be used to add features and labels, color the track, or erase double tracks. Multiple screen shots can be stitched together. Then you can use the image manipulation software to save the file as a .jpg that can be posted to trip reports and web sites.
Why would you not simply import the track into Mapsource, bring up the map, and create a screenshot from your PC? Stitching those little xImage screenshots would be a giant PITA!!!

Hermit

PreviousNext