August 15th Memorial Hike

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Piker
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (2)

August 15th Memorial Hike

Post by Piker »

Is the August 15th memorial hike still on?
Have you ever stopped to think....then forget to start again?
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Due to several reasons people have brought to my attention, I'm not planning on the August 15th memorial hike. That's not to say that no one can't go- please do if you already have it planned and want to honor David, but not in honor of the reason behind that date. And I don't mean any of this in any selfish way.
Duffus Kentucky Climber
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Duffus Kentucky Climber »

I had to send regrets to Jamienellis (event organizer) Wednesday, as work and personal committments have conspired against me being able to attend the memorial climb also. I was really looking forward to meeting a lot of the people behind the avatars on this forum. I had also hoped to prove to everyone that I am just as duffus as my username indicates.

dkc
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

Sorry that I have not kept everyone up to date on this. I've gotten numerous PM's from people that cannot attend; but I know that the initial list of interested people was huge.

I can't get off work on Wednesday, so it'd probably be best if I'm not the primary organizer. But, like Caroline said, if there are people that are interested still interested in doing a hike on that day, I'll be glad to do what I can on-line prior to the hike.

I still hope to get some type of memorial plaque placed at a later date. Maybe we can do another hike next summer in David's honor if this one doesn't work out.

-Jamie
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

I'll be at the trail head at 7AM. I'm not sure I'm going all the way up. I'm doing Torreys via Kelso on Tuesday.

Hopefully, I'll find some fellow climbers and at least go part way!
I'll probably camp at treeline and summit on the 16th if I'm too tired to go to the top on the 15th.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

Thanks to everyone for continuing to remember David.
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

OK... due to my current plans and my investigations of the Humbolt trailhead (I don't have a 4WD) and the window of my time in Colorado drawing nigh... I'm changing my plans slightly.

I'm planning to hike up the 4WD portion today and camp at the 4WD trailhead. I'm going to summit on the 14th and then down climb and camp at the 4WD trailhead. I'm hoping to meet folks who are climbing on the morning of the 15th as I down climb :D

I'm happy to do my TM memorial climb solo. Somehow it feels right for me to honor David this way. I also want to honor Caroline and David's bond and to honor Caroline for her heroic efforts on that dramatic and fateful last day of David's life.

This one is for you David and Caroline!
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...