Trail Running Shoes vs. Boots for Long's Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which do you prefer?

Trail Running Shoes
68%
Traditional Hiking Boot
32%

Total votes: 57
Holy Schist
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (2)

Trail Running Shoes vs. Boots for Long's Peak

Post by Holy Schist »

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for wearing a good Nike trail running shoe (relatively stiff sole) versus a Merrell sport hiking boot (stiffer sole) on the Keyhole Route on Long's.

I have done 21 14ers so far, all in boots, but during the longer ones my feet start to hurt too much. However, on Sneffels, and Redcloud Peaks, I was happy to have the boots because of the scree fields. (We had to make a hasty exit from Redcloud due to a lightning storm, non-standard route). On a recent trip to Windom, I would have rather had the trail shoes, since I did not feel there was a need for the boots.

This question is mainly borne out of the length of Long's and I was wondering if the terrain warrants the use of boots.

Thank you
jason415
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jason415 »

I run in Nike's on pavement but not on trails. I have found that they dont hold up to the abuse a trail and rocks can do to them. I have been using New Balance trail shoes for awile now and love them. They are lightweight and if the get wet they dry quickly. I hate wearing boots because I feel like it weakens my ankles over time.
grizz
Trip Reports (0)

Post by grizz »

I like mid top trail runner type shoes.

Boots are like Anna Nicole Smith. Hot and heavy.
Colorado Native
Cornfed97
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cornfed97 »

I wore trail runners on Longs and the only problems I had were in the trough and the homestrech. They were both wet and the trailrunners (new balance) didn't have the traction my boots have so it was a bit slippery. Other than that they were great. Maybe you could pack your boots and change out at the keyhole, stashing your runners there. Just a thought.
ShadyHater69
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ShadyHater69 »

For easier hikes (meaning anything under class 3 and under 10 miles) I prefer trail running shoes. I've had my New Balance 708 trail running shoes for a year now and they're still in great shape.

For harder hikes, and ones where hitting snow is a possiblity, I wear my low cut Keen boots. They weigh like half a pound more than my New Balance shoes, but they're water proof (sooooo key) and have a stiff sole.
White man: "Fluctuations"
Asian man: "Fluck you white guys too!"
Holy Schist
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (2)

Trail Runners vs Sport Hiking Boots

Post by Holy Schist »

Hello all, thank thank you for your input, however I am asking specifically for the Long's Peak Keyhole Route. I have yet to do a class 3 which is why I was thinking boots, but also the mileage is why I was considering the Trail runners.
crux
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by crux »

I just did the Keyhole route this past weekend in my trail runners (note - real trail runners, not tennis shoes). I always wear trail runners for short and long hikes unless I'm carrying a heavier load. I'll take a little extra weight in shoes over a badly rolled ankle any day.

Anyway, they did great the entire way but I do agree with a previous post on traction. My shoes are still pretty new so I felt pretty secure, but I do feel like I have a better grip with my boots on. The trough does have sections where you feel a bit more comfortable scooting down but overall, you should have no trouble. They're also much better for the few places where it's more fun to throw in a class 4 move (instead of taking the easier way which would add all of 2 steps) and need a good toe hold. My boots don't fit into the smaller holds that well.

I really just prefer them for overall comfort and gives me the option to all out sprint down the last few miles of the trail at the end.

Have a great time.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I'm trying to think how many times I've summitted a 14er in boots that weren't ski boots. I think the number is zero. No reason in my mind to bother with heavy boots when some bomber trail runners do the trick just fine.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
2giqs
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 2giqs »

Up the keyhole route three years ago, i wore Asics running shoes. If i were to go up this year, i'd wear La Sportiva Exums. Better grip.
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

I just did the keyhole route in my New Balance trail runners over my boots and was happy to have them. The comfort was key after such a long day and my feet still managed to jog the last mile thanks to nice comfy shoes, and a strong desire to lay down by the car and rest!
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

Has anyone tried the BOA lacing system yet? I'm looking at some northface shoes with the BOA lacing and was curious as to how well they work
chrispy
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chrispy »

I'm all for trail running shoes on the class 1-3 peaks, class 4 I would bump up to approach shoes.

In my opinion the boa is overkill. I sort of see it as a solution for a problem that doesnt exist...