Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GARMIN GPS OWNERS: Read This

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds
Site Administrator

GARMIN GPS OWNERS: Read This

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:36 am

Roger Edrinn, photo book author and owner of www.abovethetimber.com, has created a DVD of 40-foot contour topo maps for Garmin GPS units. If you want CO topo maps for your Garmin unit, this is WAY better than the 1:100,000 scale maps you get with the MapSource Topo products. These maps are 1:24,000 which is the same as USGS Quad maps. So, you get the same major and minor contour lines as a paper quad map, making it much easier to glance from paper maps to the GPS screen. The image files also include roads, peak names, etc.

I have it loaded on my Garmin eTrex Vista Cx and it's superb. Very slick! Check it out at:
http://www.abovethetimber.com/Features.htm (includes a demo file)
http://www.abovethetimber.com/Screenshots.htm
http://www.abovethetimber.com/MapFAQs.htm
http://www.abovethetimber.com/MapOrders.htm

If you order the maps, they can be managed and uploaded to your compatible unit using Garmin's MapSource software which comes with many newer units or can be downloaded from their site. IMO, it's worth the $80 to get these maps for all of Colorado. Check here for GPS map compatibility. Oh, and 14ers.com does NOT get any kickbacks from Roger for this - I'm simply passing the word to 14ers.com forum users.
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:45 am

Wow. This makes the map feature worth having! I still wouldn't leave my hard copy map behind - it's bigger and doesn't need batteries!

Postby Poindexter » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:47 am

That sounds great; unfortunately Garmin does not fully support Mac OSX (they said they would by now, but have come up dreadfully short) and until their support is as it should be I won't be investing in a GPS from them.

Postby Hunter » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:51 am

Hey- I might reconsider getting one now. IMO- I've always felt all the info you provide here isn't for personal gain. You're providing a great resource to the hiking community. I find myself quoting many of your thoughts to friends. Have you thought of doing a book?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:52 am

Nope, no Mac support. And it requires a compatible Garmin unit that can use the maps.

Postby CO Native » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:00 am

Well now my fixed 8mb memory in my legend really sucks. I could probably just upload one county with that detail.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:08 am

Yup, the entire state requires 300MB which few of us have. With 8mb, you can still get a bunch of data loaded to your unit. For example, I just loaded more than Summit County and it was about 8mb.

Postby Yikes » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:34 am

looks pretty nice. i don't have a GPS, but will probably get one sometime soon.

does anyone use the map function on your GPS? i'm just wondering if the GPS screen is too small to make it usable (to see details)...

how much "volume" do you select when you download? an entire quad at a time?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:37 am

Yikes: The maps are easy to read when navigating and provide many necessary landmarks (roads, trails, rivers, lakes, summits) along the way. It's like zooming in to see the detail of a USGS map. I use the gps a lot and the 1:24,000 maps make it much easier to determine your location on the map. Sure, there's way more detail, but it's still easy to use.

ScottieB: Nat Geo Topo! does not supply maps to download to a GPS. It's simply for creating routes and waypoints and transferring them to/from your GPS. You can also download tracks from a GPS and save them in TOPO! as waypoints or a route line. I use Topo! for a lot of things, including the creation of images on the site routes.

The maps described at the top of this thread are background maps for the GPS to make navigation that much more detailed. Here's a screen shot...

Postby mike offerman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:27 pm

ScottieB wrote:I wish that there was a trial for this software so that I could try it out without dropping 80 bucks.

Looks like he has a sample you can download

http://www.abovethetimber.com/Downloads/TOPODEMO.EXE

Postby usfgal » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:45 pm

Bill,
Thank you so much! We have a Garmin GPS and will probably invest in this. (We currently use MapSource - for the most part, anyway.)

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:48 pm

ScottieB,
I have the software and have already used the maps on hikes.

Next