Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Myth of the MSR Reactor

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Myth of the MSR Reactor

Postby CO Native » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:14 am

Anyone know what happened to the MSR Reactor. It was supposed to be out early this year and yet I've yet to see it hit the shelves anywhere.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:21 am

From the MSR website:

Product Release Update
Currently, the MSR Reactor Stove System is not available in stores. It is in the final stages of the exhaustive product quality assurance validation process that we perform on all of our products made on our factory floor in Seattle. Due to the revolutionary technology used in the Reactor Stove System, that process has taken longer than with any other stove we’ve made. You can be assured that the stove we deliver will meet rigorous MSR quality and safety standards. Please check back here for the most current information on the release of this stove.

Must be having some problems. Meanwhile my Jetboil is still working perfectly.

Postby Spam » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:24 am

Oops....something didn't work quite right. Talk about a marketing blunder! ](*,)
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs

Postby Alpinista » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:43 am

Yep! Pretty much! This is the SECOND time with this stove too! They were going to release it about 3 years ago, started showing it under super-secret NDA-signing conditions to shop employees then went totally silent. What a bunch of maroons (as Bugs Bunny would say!). :roll:

Re: Myth of the MSR Reactor

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:16 am

CO Native wrote:Anyone know what happened to the MSR Reactor. It was supposed to be out early this year and yet I've yet to see it hit the shelves anywhere.

Funny, I was just trying to look into this the other day myself. I read what MSR has on their site and interpreted it to mean:

"uhhh... something isn't working right here... we have a big problem... we'll get back to you, again, someday. We hope."

From my perspective, this seems to be an ongoing problem with this stove. If I recall correctly, they've been about to release this thing for about two years now! I think I'll wait until they're actually in service for a year or two (if they ever make it to the market) before I consider buying one. I'd much rather read about someone else's nightmare experience with a bad stove than to be the one writing the story myself :)

Too bad, I was just starting to look for a canister stove that would perform in colder weather... this would have worked for me!

Postby Kojones » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:59 am

Last I heard from REI (about 3 weeks ago) was that it will be available in November.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

REI insider information...

Postby COmedic04 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:02 am

I was at REI the other day picking up some supplies for my trip on Wednesday, and was speaking to a woman who works there and she mentioned the MSR Reactor...she said that a friend who works for MSR told her that during post-production testing, they discovered that if water being heated by the Reactor boils over onto the stove, it automatically shuts off. This, in and of itself, sounds like a good thing, right? The only problem is, after this automatic shutoff, it cannot be re-ignited until it is reset by the factory... :shock: That could kinda put a dent in your multi-day backcountry trip: "Oh shoot, I boiled over with my water for breakfast...oh well!" Ten hours later: "Damn, my water filter broke, and I'm freaking thirsty from climbing all of these 14ers today! Good thing my MSR Reactor stove is handy....uhhh....why won't it light?!?" Yikes!!
Paramedic: Drive safe, or I'll see you naked!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

Re: REI insider information...

Postby Spam » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:32 am

COmedic04 wrote: The only problem is, after this automatic shutoff, it cannot be re-ignited until it is reset by the factory... :shock: That could kinda put a dent in your multi-day backcountry trip: "Oh shoot, I boiled over with my water for breakfast...oh well!" Ten hours later: "Damn, my water filter broke, and I'm freaking thirsty from climbing all of these 14ers today! Good thing my MSR Reactor stove is handy....uhhh....why won't it light?!?" Yikes!!

Yeah, take me off the list for anything that needs reset by factory only! REI's return policy would suffer with a blunder like that!!
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs

Postby wasclywabbit » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:52 pm

Interestingly enough my new REI sale catalog has the MSR Reactor on the back page for $139.95. Hopefully they have all the bugs worked out of it.

Postby CO Native » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:42 am

I did find MSR's explaination:

MSR (Mountain Safety Research) was started as one man’s consumer advocate crusade against poor performing products. From those beginnings, MSR has been dedicated to producing innovative, high quality backcountry gear for demanding users. Our latest offering, the Reactor® Stove System is no exception. The innovation is clear - this is a product full of new technology. We regret that bringing this technology to the public has taken longer than anticipated. We set high technical performance standards and will not compromise on the quality and consistency of our products.

As we increased production of the Reactor stove, we observed that, despite the majority of units meeting our demanding testing standards, a minority of units were falling short of consistently meeting one of our most stringent testing protocols. During worst case combustion condition testing, some stoves produced higher than desired levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO). Although, when used correctly, the elevated CO levels observed would not have appreciably increased the stove’s CO hazard--a hazard inherent in all fuel burning stoves--MSR sought, and succeeded, in further honing the Reactor stove design so that it now consistently meets this stringent testing standard. Fortunately, this is something we have complete control over because we manufacture the Reactor stove in the same building where we designed it, in Seattle, WA.

Now that the system has been modified and production processes improved, we will be repeating validation testing and resuming production. Due to the rigorous and thorough nature of our testing procedures, release of the Reactor stove will be further delayed. Given the past difficulty we’ve had in accurately predicting the ship date, we are not comfortable communicating a new ship date at this time.

All of us at Cascade Designs regret being unable to meet our previous ship date commitment. We broker no excuses – in delaying shipment, we have let you down and for that we are sorry. Rest assured; the Reactor stove will deliver fast-boiling, efficient performance in all conditions – when you need it most – and radically change the definition of high performance in outdoor cooking.

Postby CO Native » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:33 pm

OK, so the thing finally hit the market. Has anybody purchased one and used it yet?

Postby Couloirman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:01 pm

ezsuperkev wrote:whats the big deal with it. it looks just like a JetBoil.

It was made to fit the 'category' of Jet Boil type stoves(I think what that means is that it is a canister stove and all fits in its own pot), but if you have ever treid to use JetBoil in the winter, in the wind, in a snowstorm, when the temp is minus a lot, it either takes forever, or doesnt work at all. This stove is supposed to be windproof, and work well in the cold. Ill be buying one in the next few weeks for the upcoming 14er skiing season :D , and testing it out as soon as I can, so Ill let you know how it works. If Im feeling saucy maye Ill put it next to the JetBoil and we can see how big the difference is.
Last edited by Couloirman on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Couloir than you are

Next