Talusmonkey June Birthday / Memorial Hike

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Joe32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Joe32 »

I'm in and will be back in Indiana this week, leaving today and the stickers should be done or at least started on by the time I get back. I am dreading going back to the thick air in Southern Indiana so climbing the weekend after I get back will be a great change.
astrobassman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 191 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by astrobassman »

I will be there if my knee is ok. The ACL injury is still not fully healed...I learned this the hard way after hiking 10 miles the other day. I'll let you know if I can make it later next week.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

jamienellis wrote: How about Pizza Madness on Main Street at 2pm? (I'm randomly picking that...I know nothing about it. If anyone has another suggestion, that's cool too!)
Jamie, Just FYI.....Pizza Madness is now Pizza Mania. And definitely the best place to get some pre and post hiking food. Great pizza and beer.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
leftyslugger
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by leftyslugger »

My buddy (spinedoc) and I will be thinking of you guys. We have had a trip planned to S. Colony for the Crestone Group for about 5 months. We will be there the weekend after you guys so trip reports and condition updates will be very appreciated. Have fun and be safe.
Bodacious
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bodacious »

Wish I could be there...I will be in spirit! Have fun, and be safe everyone...
"To travel, to experience and learn: that is to live."
- Tenzing Norgay
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

astrobassman, wow! I didn't know you had surgery. Ouch! I hope your recovery is going well. Just let me know next week.

mtgirl,
thanks for the info! I randomly chose well. :wink: Pizza Mania it is, then...if anyone wants to meet up.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone who can't join us.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
kurty[B]
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kurty[B] »

I might have friends coming to visit that weekend. If they come I will have to back out. If they do not. I am planning to leave early from Steamboat and head to Westcliffe to meet at Pizza Mania. I'd be more than happy to help someone pay for gas and hitch a ride, or offer to pick people up. I can add 3 more people and their gear to my Xterra. I could swing through Vail down to Salida and over, or Summit County down to Salida and over, or Summit County to the Front Range and pick up people from Denver and Colorado Springs and so on.

I will know for sure tomorrow if I am able to go.
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

Being that I'm taking my dog I'll probably have to pass on the Pizza lunch but I think it'll be great to meet all of you that weekend!

Is everyone going to camp up at the highest TH? The reason I ask is that the road is pretty rough and I've never pushed my truck all the way for fear of damage to it. Usually I drive about a mile and then hike the rest of the way.

I will probably just get up earlier and meet you all at the lakes at 6am if that's our starting point.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I think Kessler and I will just meet everyone at the lakes Saturday evening.
rj2000
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rj2000 »

I will also be there on Saturday the 16th with one or two non-14er members who heard the "story" and wanted to join in on the tribute hike.

Looking forward to this...
The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.
Two Headed Boy
14ers: 31 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Two Headed Boy »

Are we hiking on Sunday and camping on Saturday?

I think thats right but I'm not sure excactly where we are camping could someone let this lazy poor dumb bastard in on it because I dont want to look through the whole thread.

Speaking of lazy P.D.B's I haven't done a 14er in sometime so if anyone has a rickshaw I would gladly pay for someone to pull me up.
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

Two Headed Boy -
The summit hike is on Sunday. Some people are choosing to hike in to S Colony Lakes on Saturday and camping there Saturday night.

Others are just hiking in early on Saturday.
The group will be leaving for the summit hike on Sunday at 6am from S Colony Lakes.

Additionally, some people are meeting up at Pizza Mania in Westcliffe at 2pm on Saturday for a meet and greet / pizza & beers / carpool to the TH.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson