Talusmonkey June Birthday / Memorial Hike

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I’m trying to get an idea of how many people are still interested and if this plan works for everyone?
Kessler and I are in.

We may do Kit Carson too if the weather is good.
Two Headed Boy
14ers: 31 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Two Headed Boy »

I am still down. Jimn72
Rockymtnhigh69
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

Jamie,

Can we figure out a way to coordinate everybody for a pack in/camp the night before the climb? I think that would be great time to get a bunch of 14er.com people togther to camp the night before.. \:D/

Let us know..
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

God bless you all. I'm sorry that our family cannot be there with all of you. You are wonderful souls. Thank you for honoring David in this way.
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

I'm in. Jamie, hope you had fun in the San Juans! Can I get a ride for Humboldt?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
guitmo223
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitmo223 »

I will be there. And SteveVets, PM me if you get a ride, and PM if you don't. I may have a ride for us, and I may need one at this point...
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill
ascent+descent=fun
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ascent+descent=fun »

im in! and I think I can give rides from the broomfield/boulder area.
Aspen Summit
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Aspen Summit »

Hi all!

Unfortunately, court is still in session so I won't be able to make it :( I did think of David when I stopped at the creek along Missouri Gulch Trailhead. So I carved his alias onto a pile of snow. I'm sure it has melted by now.

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!
Two Headed Boy
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Two Headed Boy »

jamienellis - I am in. My user name was Jimn72 and has changed to Two Headed Boy. I wanted to sound scary, did it work?
KirkT
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (23)

Post by KirkT »

Jamie,

Count me in as well... I'll be coming in Sunday morning as of now. KKigs has already espressed riding with me. We both live in So Denver Metro area. My truck can hold a total of 4 people if anyone else wants to carpool to save on gas money..

Kirk
highmountaindrifter
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highmountaindrifter »

Add another to the list, And if anybody from the Colorado springs area wants to carpool I have room for three. Also, anyone up for one of the Crestones??? Maybe leave early Sat. morning....2 ish?
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

Cool! So, it looks like we have about 23 people confirmed so far. :D

Do the people who are hiking in and camping on Saturday want to meet up somewhere in Westcliffe on Saturday afternoon?

How about Pizza Madness on Main Street at 2pm? (I'm randomly picking that...I know nothing about it. If anyone has another suggestion, that's cool too!)

I know several people are getting together to climb various peaks in the area on Saturday. There may be a need for pizza and beers after that! :wink:

If we meet up in town, we could arrange to carpool up the road a ways. I'm sure not everyone has 4WD & there won't be enough room on the road for a lot of cars.

Here is a conditions report from someone on summitpost from Sunday, June 3:
'Update for anyone wanting to attempt Humboldt soon:
Snowshoes are no longer necessary (at least on the East ridge). There was still a lot of thigh or hip deep snow in some sections, but it was all avoidable.

The snowfields we came up on were too wet to glissade down, we just sank in. As far as traversing any, that too was avoidable.

We came back via S Colony Lakes road and the road is a mess. We only saw 2 trucks beyond the first river crossing, and no tire tracks at all within 1.5-2 mi of the lakes. 2-3 foot drifts covered the road in some sections and there was A LOT of water and mud on the road.
'
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson