Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourteener skis?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Postby joe4186 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:35 pm

http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby jwproulx » Fri May 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Bean wrote:If you go the tele route, I suggest spending a season in a resort learning the ropes. I took it up this year, and I've been doing a decent job of killing it this spring. Quandary, James, Dead Dog, a few shorter tours, and ending it this weekend on Missouri.

It's a blast, go for it.

And remember -- the Christiana turn was developed in Norway on free-heel skis! ;)

Postby Ken Gross » Wed May 30, 2007 11:39 am

g wrote:Newbie avalanche question:

Would there be any avalanche danger worth worrying about on a slope like Quandary's east side (the standard route)? Seems like it's not steep enough to me.

During times of high instability it can, and does slide. The pitch above the main shelf is certainly steep enough to slide. In fact a couple of years back a guy and his dog got caught in a slide on Quandary's east face. The dog got burried, but was wearing a beacon so the guy was able to find him and dig the pouch out. Not so sure that the dog could do a very good beacon search had the roles been reversed!! :lol:

It is generaly a safe ski, but not to be taken for granted.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby Couloirman » Wed May 30, 2007 12:13 pm

g wrote:Newbie avalanche question:

Would there be any avalanche danger worth worrying about on a slope like Quandary's east side (the standard route)? Seems like it's not steep enough to me.

As a newbie, it is best to at first use this rule of thumb and go from there:
"If it has snow, and is steep enough that you want to ski it, it is steep enough to slide" and thus should be treated as a potential avalanche slope.

It is always better to err on the safe side until you gain more experience. I know thats probably not what you wanted to hear but its the best answer I think you can get on the internet.

Also the trees below the standard route to get back to the car can sometimes be a collapsing nightmare and should be treated with suspicion in all seasons.

Previous